Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
My OEM HDD is installed in the "upper" location. I just received my OWC data doubler kit to install a SSD. I contacted OWC and asked if I should leave the HDD in the OEM location or swap the SSD into that upper bay and move the HDD in the lower bay. They said to leave the HDD alone, where it is, and put the SSD in the lower bay with their provided SATA cable.

Can you go into disk utility and tell it to boot from the lower bay? I am planning on hooking up the SSD to usb and clone the existing drive over, then mount in the lower bay. I'm just trying to get this process down. I don't want a fusion drive. I want to use the SSD for OS/programs, and use the existing HDD for all my music/photo/office files. TIAFAR.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You pick the startup disk in SystemPreferences/StartUpDisk and then reboot. You can select either the upper or lower disk to boot from.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
My OEM HDD is installed in the "upper" location. I just received my OWC data doubler kit to install a SSD. I contacted OWC and asked if I should leave the HDD in the OEM location or swap the SSD into that upper bay and move the HDD in the lower bay. They said to leave the HDD alone, where it is, and put the SSD in the lower bay with their provided SATA cable.

Can you go into disk utility and tell it to boot from the lower bay? I am planning on hooking up the SSD to usb and clone the existing drive over, then mount in the lower bay. I'm just trying to get this process down. I don't want a fusion drive. I want to use the SSD for OS/programs, and use the existing HDD for all my music/photo/office files. TIAFAR.

Yes you can tell the OS to boot from either drive. In system prefs go to Startup Disk to choose the SSD.

I just upgraded mine and, and while my original HD was in the lower slot the process was about the same (though the installation in your case should be much easier, not having to removing the main board, fan cowling, power supply, or drive housing).

In my case I freshly installed Yosemite on the SSD from a USB drive.

Michael

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Yes you can tell the OS to boot from either drive. In system prefs go to Startup Disk to choose the SSD.

I just upgraded mine and, and while my original HD was in the lower slot the process was about the same (though the installation in your case should be much easier, not having to removing the main board, fan cowling, power supply, or drive housing).

In my case I freshly installed Yosemite on the SSD from a USB drive.

Michael

If you have some steps for the exact same install as yours I'm all ears. Have a 16gig usb stick ready to go.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If you have some steps for the exact same install as yours I'm all ears. Have a 16gig usb stick ready to go.

For yours, I think you just need to remove the fan, fan cowl and antenna plate and the drive location is right there. Just install the set screws on the appropriate side of the drive, plug the cable into the drive and slip it into the drive bay.

Just up to step 12, then reverse.. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/11716

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

What I did was format (empty) the SSD externally then get it all installed. The mini booted right up from the original HD, even though it was moved from the upper to lower slot.

As for the USB drive, I remembered incorrectly. I tried to boot with it but for some reason it kept wanting to install from stock recovery--and also wanted to "fix" my SSD/HD into a fusion drive.

So I copied Install OS X Yosemite app onto it from my other mini where I had it downloaded. If you don't have that you can download it from the app store (5+ GB).

I then just ran the Install OS X Yosemite app and chose to install onto the SSD drive. Once done it booted up from SSD. Since this was a new mini for me I reformatted the HD to clear it out. I have another mini with data on it but I will move over what I need. I wanted the SSD to have clean start with no "remnants" from anything old.

Oh, in my case I did install Trim Enabler. My SSD tested at 250/250 read/write in Blackmagic with trim disabled. After enabling trim it was 475/454--very big and noticeable difference. I used Trim Enabler in free mode but will probably pay for the few additional features (I think it is $10).

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
What I did was format (empty) the SSD externally then get it all installed. The mini booted right up from the original HD, even though it was moved from the upper to lower slot.

As for the USB drive, I remembered incorrectly. I tried to boot with it but for some reason it kept wanting to install from stock recovery--and also wanted to "fix" my SSD/HD into a fusion drive.

So I copied Install OS X Yosemite app onto it from my other mini where I had it downloaded. If you don't have that you can download it from the app store (5+ GB).

I then just ran the Install OS X Yosemite app and chose to install onto the SSD drive. Once done it booted up from SSD. Since this was a new mini for me I reformatted the HD to clear it out. I have another mini with data on it but I will move over what I need. I wanted the SSD to have clean start with no "remnants" from anything old.

Oh, in my case I did install Trim Enabler. My SSD tested at 250/250 read/write in Blackmagic with trim disabled. After enabling trim it was 475/454--very big and noticeable difference. I used Trim Enabler in free mode but will probably pay for the few additional features (I think it is $10).

Mike

Thanks Mike. Probably going to be some trial and error on my part as I haven't had to do this in a while.

What's in your av? Is that a Connie? I run a VFR1200 myself for distance work.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Thanks Mike. Probably going to be some trial and error on my part as I haven't had to do this in a while.

What's in your av? Is that a Connie? I run a VFR1200 myself for distance work.

Thanks again.

Good luck. Just take it slow--and take a break if struggling over anything. My biggest struggle was the IR and power supply connectors.

Oh yea, that is a K1200LT. :)

Mike

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
If your drive is in the "lower" bay (closest to the black plastic base) there's no need to remove much of anything....see my post here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1727495/

I looked at your instructions. That seems like a good list for someone swapping the HDD out to a SSD. I'm adding my SSD to the mini so I'll have two drives. SSD for os/progs, and 1TB HDD for all files.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I looked at your instructions. That seems like a good list for someone swapping the HDD out to a SSD. I'm adding my SSD to the mini so I'll have two drives. SSD for os/progs, and 1TB HDD for all files.

Yes but if your existing drive is in the upper slot you still don't have to do much in order to end up with two drives.

The normal location of the OEM hard drive, at least according to OWC, is the lower slot. That was where mine was. Ergo, I had to take take the mini apart to get to the top slot, and remove the drive mounting bracket (which was empty of course). I installed the SSD there since I doubt I will be changing that in the near future. But I could have just as easily installed the HDD there and the SSD in the lower slot.

In your case your HDD is already installed in the much-harder-to-get-at top slot, so you can just leave it there.

The only issue, I think, is that the normal sata cable included in the OWC data doubler kit is for the top slot. But you may have gotten the right cable since you informed OWC of your HDD location. Even if you have the top cable I believe it can be made to fit with an extra bend or two.

Mike

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Well I've got my SSD hooked up to a sata/usb cable and I'm downloading Yosemite for a fresh install. It's been going for 2 hours with 9 hours to go. Why Apple restricts bandwidth I don't know.

Plan is to install Yosemite onto the SSD, then check to make sure it will boot. Once that is done I'll do the physical work of installing the SSD into the lower bay. From what I read, reboot, hold down option key on keyboard, and that is about as far as I've gotten. Also don't know how to tell OS X to use the HDD for all files (including ITunes losless songs).

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Apple isn't restricting bandwidth. It took me all of about 30 minutes to download the installer on launch weekend.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Installed Yosemite on my SSD via USB successfully and booted to it twice to check functionality. Will attempt to install tonight.

Can anyone tell me how the process goes to format the existing HDD and tell OSX to use that as file storage? What do I need to do to make this happen in the OS? I want to use the SSD for os/progs and use the HDD for file storage and for Itunes. Someone in another thread mentioned putting your user directory on it but I've seen no guide anywhere for this so I'm lost. I'm getting there though, slowly.

UAGrad2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Kentucky
similiar situation as corner exit

i am in a similiar situation as cornerexit. I installed the SSD and had issues moving my files over. The mini is booting from the SSD and I "dragged" all my applications to the SSD. My other data got moved to the cloud. I think I am ready to erase the 1TB HD and use it for file storage but am uneasy about making this change. Can someone provide some information on how to do this? I definitely don't want to screw this up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.