SSD install (not recognized)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratoto67, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ratoto67 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a MacbookPro mid 09 and have some issues installing a new SSD.
    I had previously a SSD (and cloned the original HD) but it just stop working.
    Intel just sent me a new unit, which is working niceley (at least on a PC).
    I tried to make a clean install using a Lion DVD but could not see the drive in the disk utility.
    I then unplugged the drive and plugged it on a USB docking station. The drive could then be seen during installation.
    Before installing, I removed all partitions and created a new one (using the GUID partition format).
    The installation went smoothly but when I plugged the SSD into the laptop it could not boot.
    I have seen that some people first clone the original drive. Should I do that (I do not have the original drive anymore but have an old Macbook).
    As my laptop is still under warranty, do you think a genius could look at the problem (I am 100% sure the hard drive is working).
    Thanks for the help.
    W.

2. DTxAg macrumors newbie

I've had problems in the past installing the OS on a new drive when the drive has been inserted into the internal hard drive slot, even if I formatted the new drive first. I also got it to work by booting from the internal drive with the new drive attached by a USB adapter, installing the OS on the new drive, and then booting off the new drive still connected to the USB adapter. You just hold the alt key down when booting and select the new drive. If it boots, I'll put the new drive in the internal drive slot, and it boots fine.

3. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.
    If I understand correctly, you had two drives with one drive working. I only have one SSD. I am really wondering if there is a possibility to make a fresh install.

4. DTxAg macrumors newbie

Yes, just plug in the SSD to a USB adapter and boot from a CD or USB stick, probably the original install CDs that came with your computer. Tell the installer to install on the SSD, wait for it to complete, then remove the CD and reboot. It should automatically find the SSD drive and boot from it. If it works, plug it into the internal drive slot and it should work.

5. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I will try to do that with my original CD.
    Because it did not work with a Lion USB Stick, I am afraid it will not work :(