SSD install question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mullenc525, May 17, 2012.

1. mullenc525 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am installing a 256 crucial m4 into my 2010 MBP. I need to run 3 OS total, windows 7 32, windows 7 64, and mac osx. I plan to keep the HDD, putting one of the drives in the optical bay.

I want to run 64 bit windows and max osx off the SSD. 32 bit windows can stay on the HDD, I rarely use it. Currently 32 bit and mac osx are on my HDD.

My optical bay adapter has not arrived yet. I am hoping to install the SSD into my HDD bay and install windows 7 fresh onto a partition of that. Later, I plan to reinstall the HDD into the computer and clone mac osx onto the other partition on the SSD.

Should this all work? Should I move my ssd into the optical bay when the adapter comes or just put the HDD there? If I move it, will everything still run correctly?

Thanks

2. rasto macrumors newbie

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Curious as to why you need 64-bit Windows 7 and 32-bit Windows 7? {serious question}.

Perhaps you could just virtualize one or two of them and not have to worry about booting/partitioning?

4. mullenc525 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have software (BMW coding) that runs within a virtual machine already within 32 bit windows only. Nobody has been able to get virtualization within virtualization working, so I plan to keep a 50 gb 32 bit windows partition for running this software only.

Most of my work software is 64 bit windows.

Play is mac osx.