SSD install question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rogo43, Oct 20, 2012.

1. rogo43 macrumors member

OK so I have a MBP with no OS disc. i know there is a method cause i did it with my iMac but i cant remember how.

I installed a SSD in my MBP after I had completely backed up the enitre thing on Time Machine. Once the new SSD is installed, there is a way to plug the Time machine into the computer and instead of installing a new OS from a disc install it from time machine.

Basically in a nut shell migrate all the data (OS and data) from time machine to the new SSD.
    what are the steps involved after the SSD has been installed and I turn the computer back on for the first time.

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have a 2010 or newer machine that has updated firmware you should be able to hold command-r when booting and have that take you to Internet Restore. Once that starts open Disk Utility and format the drive to Mac OS Extended. Then select restore from Time Machine and follow the prompts.

3. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!!!!! that sounds familiar to what i did with iMac! you are a god send

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are going to need to boot from either the original OS install DVD that came with the machine and format then install from there. Or do the same with a USB key you made with either Lion or Mountain Lion on it.

6. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Won't an Apple store install it as well from a USB HD if you lost the media? It doesn't pertain to me, just curious in case someone searches this in the future.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't believe the Apple store would even have the OS on a USB key to use since Apple does not sell or provide such a thing. I suppose you could go in and ask nicely if they would let you login to your App Store account and DL the OS to your own USB key.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm sure if you could provide proof of purchase they would install in for you.