SSD Install Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vandrv, Jan 29, 2013.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I have a mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro that seems to have developed some problems. Most everything I do starts the beach ball spinning. I ordered a Samsung SSD to replace the hard drive, in hopes this will improve things. My original plan was to just clone the old drive to the new one, but I'm wondering if a fresh install is a better way to go? I don't have that much on the computer that can't be reloaded, if necessary. If starting fresh is a better way to go, I am lost as to how to go about it. I am running Lion on the computer now, and did make a Lion recovery disk. I also have the Leopard disk that came with the computer, as well as a Snow Leopard disk. Anyway I would appreciate opinions as to which way to go, and also detailed instructions as to how to go about a fresh install. Thanks for any help.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would do clean install. That always solves most of the problem.
    Just install the files you need later and you'll be good.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Plop the SSD in with your recovery lion install, boot while holding the option (alt) key, follow the on screen instructions to format the drive correctly and install OS X. It's quite idiot proof, really.

4. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. As far as being idiot proof, we will see.:)
    Just to clear it up completely, I should load the recovery DVD into the computer, shut it down, install the SSD and boot from the DVD. Is that the right order of things? Thanks again for the help.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can insert the DVD once you've buttoned your MBP back up and boot it for the first time.

6. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for this. I wasn't sure the DVD would load before I started the computer.

7. amit715 macrumors member

def do a fresh install if your having problems .cloning might transfer those problems over