SSD Install Troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGruber, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JGruber macrumors 6502

So I picked up a new SSD for my Wife's Late 2009 MBP, I installed it in the MBP and booted from my SL DVD, and this is where my problem(s) start.

Getting to the actual SL install took 10 minutes, once there, the SSD didn't show in the Disk Utility Menu, but showed up in System Profiler.

I removed the SSD and plugged it into a external enclosure, and was able to format it on my Mac, repeated the install procedure, same results.

The drive shows up on the desktop and am I able to write to it when I have it plugged in to my Laptop via external.

I haven't tired to instal SL from within my install of SL, but when I load up the installer, it shows the SSD drive available for install.

Not really sure what to think about this one... looking for any suggestions.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it shows the SSD available to install, it should work

3. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

I kinda thought that, but I'm just trying to figure out why the installer doesn't see it when I'm booted right to the DVD.

I'll give the other method a shot when I get home and have a little more time.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

OS X has issues with some SSDs occasionally. Do you know if there is a firmware update for it?

5. JGruber, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even think about the Firmware, I'll check to see if there is.

*Edit*

Looks like I have the latest version of it.

6. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems that even running the installer within SL, it won't install onto the SSD.

I think what I am going to end up doing is putting a fresh clean SL install on. It, and then using CCC to put it on the SSD. We shall see how it goes.

7. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Thats what i would do . Install on another drive than CCC it over to the SSD

8. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

9. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought the GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB version.

10. JGruber, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

The clone was very fast, around 6min for the entire drive.

However, the start up time from being powered off is crazy slow, something like 45sec.

Another problem I've found is coming out of sleep, a search on the forums didn't yield any solid answers.

*Edit*

Start up has been fixed, System Pref > Startup Disk > Selected the SSD

11. sydenham macrumors regular

2009 doesn't like third party drives. You will probably have to roll the firmware back to 1.6. Its not nice, but it is a known problem with those models.