Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
would this adapter work to clone my existing hdd to an ssd?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/373131/3_in_1_SATA-IDE_to_USB_20_adapter

Not exactly sure what you are attempting to do...here's one idea

1) Download Carbon Copy Cloner
2) Make a bootable backup of your HD to an external drive
3) Install SSD and OS 10.XX in you Mac
4) Use Migration Assistant to transfer your old profile from your External HD to your new SSD

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-migrate-data-from-your-old-computer-to-a-new-mac/

Good Luck

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
Not exactly sure what you are attempting to do...here's one idea

1) Download Carbon Copy Cloner
2) Make a bootable backup of your HD to an external drive
3) Install SSD and OS 10.XX in you Mac
4) Use Migration Assistant to transfer your old profile from your External HD to your new SSD

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-migrate-data-from-your-old-computer-to-a-new-mac/

Good Luck

I want to make a clone of my current hdd on to a new ssd. Put the current hdd in the optical bay and put the ssd with cloned data/os in original hdd bay.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I want to make a clone of my current hdd on to a new ssd. Put the current hdd in the optical bay and put the ssd with cloned data/os in original hdd bay.

Just skip ahead to the part where you install both hard drives in the configuration you want. Then install OSX on your SSD and use the migration assistant to transfer the data you want to keep. No additional hardware is necessary this way.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
Just skip ahead to the part where you install both hard drives in the configuration you want. Then install OSX on your SSD and use the migration assistant to transfer the data you want to keep. No additional hardware is necessary this way.

^+1....but make sure when you do this that you also clone/copy your recovery partition (it's hidden so you won't see it). I lost mine when I cloned the SSD but fortunately I was able to recover it from a time machine backup restore.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
^+1....but make sure when you do this that you also clone/copy your recovery partition (it's hidden so you won't see it). I lost mine when I cloned the SSD but fortunately I was able to recover it from a time machine backup restore.

So i will be able to boot from my hdd even when its in the optical bay and the ssd is blank?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

You don't need to clone/copy anything. Just use internet recovery to install OSX(and create a restore partition) on the SSD and after it has installed use the migration assistant to transfer your data into a new user account. It has been a while since I reinstalled OSX, it may even give you the option to migrate your user account before you even start the install.

So i will be able to boot from my hdd even when its in the optical bay and the ssd is blank?

See above. You don't need to boot from the HDD, just use internet recovery. It'll install a fresh copy of OSX along with the restore partition.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

You don't need to clone anything beforehand or even physically move the current drive to the optical bay slot. You can put an SSD in the optical slot, reformat it, clone your existing drive to the SSD, then go to System Preferences - Startup Disk, and set it to boot from the SSD.

You'll want something like this to mount the 2nd drive in the optical drive bay:

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

But you do not need an external drive or external adapter to get it all set up and working, not that it's not a great idea to have one because they do come in handy more often than people realize.

Last edited:

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
You don't need to clone anything beforehand or even physically move the current drive to the optical bay slot. You can put an SSD in the optical slot, reformat it, clone your existing drive to the SSD, then go to System Preferences - Startup Disk, and set it to boot from the SSD.

You'll want something like this to mount the 2nd drive in the optical drive bay:

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

But you do not need an external drive or external adapter to get it all set up and working, not that it's not a great idea to have one because they do come in handy more often than people realize.

I was under the impression that I would achieve greater speeds on the ssd by putting it in the original hdd bay, i also thought that there were sleep/wake issues when putting the ssd in the optical bay? Am I wrong? (Using late 2011 mbp 13)

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Here is what i did:

1) Used Carbon Clone Copy to copy HDD to SSD. (I put the SSD to a enclosure).
2) Installed the SSD to the HDD bay and HDD to optical Bay
3) Turn it on to make sure everything works
- Somehow my Mac used the HDD to boot up rather than SSD
- Change this setting so it would use SSD to boot
4) iTunes files structure is messed up
Solution: Move the itunes files back to SSD
OR
Go to iTunes> Preference > Advance > uncheck "Keep iTunes
Media Folder Organize" and "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder
When Adding To Library".
5) Format the HDD

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I was under the impression that I would achieve greater speeds on the ssd by putting it in the original hdd bay, i also thought that there were sleep/wake issues when putting the ssd in the optical bay? Am I wrong? (Using late 2011 mbp 13)

I just read in an Amazon review of an optical drive caddy that someone says there is a known issue with SSD's in 2011 MBP optical drive bays, which is what is in your signature and I presume the one you want to do this with. Once you have the cover off, swapping out the original hard drive would only add a couple of minutes of work, you're already right there, so I'd go ahead with putting the original drive in the optical caddy as you are planning.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
I just read in an Amazon review of an optical drive caddy that someone says there is a known issue with SSD's in 2011 MBP optical drive bays, which is what is in your signature and I presume the one you want to do this with. Once you have the cover off, swapping out the original hard drive would only add a couple of minutes of work, you're already right there, so I'd go ahead with putting the original drive in the optical caddy as you are planning.

So are you just saying to go ahead and do what I already plan on doing, just with a lot of words? Lol

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

I am new new Mac and OSX.
If i just take out the existing HD and put in the NEW SSD, what is the best way to install OSX.
From a usb thumb drive?
With a brand new formated SSD, how can the Mac see the OSX to install?
Can you just download OSX from apple and install from DVD or USB stick?

Just saw the thread on internet recovery. I am guessing that is the answer?

So If start the Mac with a new SSD, it will give an option for internet recovery?

Also found this Cool feature
http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Last edited:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Here's what I did and it worked flawlessly....

-Create thumb drive using this method http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433
-Create time machine backup on external hdd drive
-install new SSD
-Boot into Internet recovery using thumb drive and download OSX
-Restore with time machine backup

That's it. I had to adjust some user settings but that's about it. Super easy IMHO.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I am new new Mac and OSX.
If i just take out the existing HD and put in the NEW SSD, what is the best way to install OSX.
From a usb thumb drive?
With a brand new formated SSD, how can the Mac see the OSX to install?
Can you just download OSX from apple and install from DVD or USB stick?

Just saw the thread on internet recovery. I am guessing that is the answer?

So If start the Mac with a new SSD, it will give an option for internet recovery?

Also found this Cool feature
http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Put the SSD into an enclosure and clone it with software! We mentioned this in this thread.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Put ssd in one bay, put hdd in other, boot computer (if it doesnt boot try again holding option and select your hdd), use carbon copy cloner to clone hdd to ssd including recovery partition, go to setings, select ssd as boot drive and reboot, format hdd, done

As for that adaptor, it will work, but it will be slow as hell and if you plan on putting the hdd in the other bay anyway then it is unnessecary.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
Yea that's probably what I will do then. Seems easy enough. Now does anyone know if I can format the hdd but leave my windows partition intact? Or will I have to copy my windows partion to ssd then format hdd and move windows partition back to hdd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.