Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
Hello all,

Quick question, I just picked up a Intel X25M Retail Package that comes with the 3.5" mounting bracket. I plan on buying the new Mac Pro once available and want to be ready to install once it arrives. So my question is can I use this bracket the drive comes with or do I need to buy an after market one?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Hello all,

Quick question, I just picked up a Intel X25M Retail Package that comes with the 3.5" mounting bracket. I plan on buying the new Mac Pro once available and want to be ready to install once it arrives. So my question is can I use this bracket the drive comes with or do I need to buy an after market one?

If you wanted to save all of the bays for mechanical drives and only have one superdrive, you could put the SSD in the empty optical bay and still have 4 HD bays. And for that you could just let the SSD sit there, you wouldn't need a mount for that.

And as far as I know the bracket that comes with it should work.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hello all,

No one knows what 2.5" drive mounting options the new Mac Pro's may present if any. It's possible Apple has new sleds which accept 2.5" drives without adapter brackets. If that's the case, you may be fine without any bracket.

If Apple doesn't provide any native 2.5" drive mounting options in the 2010, you have a couple of options...

a) Mount it in the optical bay using the supplied adapter with yet another 3.5 to 5.25" adapter or just let it sit there as strausd suggests.

b) alternatively, Mount it in one of the 4 HD bays using an Icydock 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and the stock drive sleds

Keep in mind the bracket supplied with your SSD will not work with the HD bay sleds if the 2010 uses the same design as the 2009.

Clear as mud? :eek: :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Nope, those adapters align the drive in the centre, whereas the connectors of a standard 3.5" drive are not in the middle.

Cool, thanks so much for that. Saved me the nightmare of not being able to install the SSD when the Mac Pro arrives. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.