SSD installed now what

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darktiger, Apr 21, 2011.

1. darktiger macrumors newbie

Okay I just installed my Vertex 3 without any issues, I also installed the default 750GB HD into my optical drive. I am currently installing programs, but how do I install programs to my 750GB HD? I installed photoshop and lightroom, of course I want those on my SSD. But a few of the smaller programs such as toast I wanted to install on my regular HD, but could not for the life of me.

Forgive me if this is easy, I just started using Mac's less than 2 weeks ago.

Also what other things do I need to do to my 2011 15" MBP?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Are you sure that's how you want to do it? Generally folks decide they want all their applications on the SSD. I mean, you even say they don't take up much room. What's the capacity on your SSD?

3. darktiger thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess in my head every little GB counts. So when I install things like games, I really would not want them to be on my SSD (because the size some of these games take up). There are other applications which I will not use all the time, so I would not want them to be on my SSD but on my regular HD.

4. ViciousShadow21, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

is your problem that the SSD just isnt showing up? if that is the case something is seriously wrong.

if it does show up then you should be able to select the drive you want to put it on when the install initializes.

My suggestion is if you want the best performance out of it keep the OS installed on the SSD and for the bigger apps have a folder on the HDD. pretty simple.