Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everybody,

I've upgraded my MacBook Pro to a SSD Intel X25-M 80GB. Unfortunately, when playing AVI files the video often freezes, sometimes only a few seconds, sometimes up to 15-20 seconds. As I'm pretty sure I never had this before with my "normal" hard disc, I guess it is a SSD problem. Anybody else experiences this and mabye has a solution? I already searched on Google with no real success and the firmware of my SSD is the newest one. If anybody has a solution (mabye there isn't one and I simply bought this new technology too soon ...), would be nice if he/her could let me know. Thanks in advance!!

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Hi everybody,

I've upgraded my MacBook Pro to a SSD Intel X25-M 80GB. Unfortunately, when playing AVI files the video often freezes, sometimes only a few seconds, sometimes up to 15-20 seconds. As I'm pretty sure I never had this before with my "normal" hard disc, I guess it is a SSD problem. Anybody else experiences this and mabye has a solution? I already searched on Google with no real success and the firmware of my SSD is the newest one. If anybody has a solution (mabye there isn't one and I simply bought this new technology too soon ...), would be nice if he/her could let me know. Thanks in advance!!

did u check the ssd forums maybe to see if anyone have similar issues.
what video player are you using to play avi? did you try VLC maybe and see if issues persists?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi cpnotebook,

thanks for your answer - unfortunately, I tried VLC and Quicktime and have the issues with BOTH player ...

playalistic

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Surrey, UK
Although this may be of limited use: I have the 160GB one and I don't have this problem at all. Latest firmware and the late 2008 unibody MBP.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi playalistic,

thanks for the comment - I really hope that the 160GB SSD doesn't have improved speed technology which my 80GB version hasn't. In this case, I really chose the wrong model to save money ...

playalistic

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Surrey, UK
I'm pretty certain they aren't any different apart from actual storage size. There are plenty of people on these boards who have them so I'm sure you'll get some positive responses soon. Perhaps you have another issue that is causing this?

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
I'd say there's definitively something wrong with your system, as I use my MBP a lot to play .avi and .mkv (720p and 1080) movie files and I haven't seen so much as a single hick-up or stutter during playback. And I perform all sorts of other tasks during playback like checking email through Entourage or download from Usenet. For playback I mainly use Quicktime (with Perian installed) and sometimes VLC.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Hi everybody,

I've upgraded my MacBook Pro to a SSD Intel X25-M 80GB. Unfortunately, when playing AVI files the video often freezes, sometimes only a few seconds, sometimes up to 15-20 seconds. As I'm pretty sure I never had this before with my "normal" hard disc, I guess it is a SSD problem.

That is a big assumption btw. Is this a new MBP, older model? Is it running SATA II?

What size video are you watching? It shouldn't matter but I didn't see anything about it.

Otherwise, you should not be seeing any stutter with the X25 for this type of work. Do you just have the one app open and are double clicking or do you load the app then open the VID from inside it?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I've run three HD quicktime trailers at the same time spread across the internal 15" and an external 20" with no problems, but now i'm getting annoying random freezeups and the like. This is my second x25-m. If I have to replace this one i'm going to demand the 160gb version, since i've heard nothing bad about the larger capacity versions.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for all your replies, really appreciated. Seems like this isn't a common problem at all ... (Except of Eddyisgreat's experiences which sound like mine.) I'll try to investigate further (by the way, as someone asked: I have a Unibody MacBook Pro Late 2008, so this shouldn't be the problem. Also, I'm mostly watching 350 MB AVIs - Letterman and Conan). Hopefully this isn't some kind of hardware defect of my SSD ... Maybe I'll reformat the drive. Thanks again everybody!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Sascha,

I haven't disabled them and I'll try it out - although I think this shouldn't be the problem ... Disabling the sudden motion sensor doesn't have any negative effects as long as I only use a SSD, correct?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Sascha,

thanks for your help. I turned of the sudden motion sensor and hard disc sleep mode and until now, the freeze hasn't appeared again! I didn't watch long enough already, but mabye this solved my problem!! Thanks again anyway!!!

Turning off "no sleep for hdd" doesn't affect my battery life when putting the MacBook Pro to sleep, does i? I guess for a SSD without moving parts it's obsolet ...?

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
hi lars
welcome !

all my ssd's have absolut no problems, even with win7_rc1 via boot camp ..

the only more thing, i would "install" noatime, this you will find on the ocz site i posted on about page 4.
you have to download the small attach. and palce it on your desktop, then go to terminal and type " cd desktop " and then copy paste the install string as shown.

nothing bad can happen, but be carefull and read exactly.

after restart you can control it via console ..

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Sascha,

will check out noatime, what does this do? (If it is explained on the ocz site, you don't need to tell me, in this case I'll find it myself)

And what's the deal with Access Time Recording? It is suggested over there to turn it off, but I don't know its function and how important it is ...

Thanks again!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.