ssd/iphoto/imovie question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cypress822 macrumors regular

If i purchase a new iMac with ssd pre-installed, OS will be preloaded on the ssd. I understand that. From what i understand, a good idea is to movie iPhoto and iMovie library to the HDD. If one does that, do you lose the ssd speed when using iPhoto and and iMovie because their libraries are on the hdd, and the program is on the ssd?

Perry

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The application will load quickly, the photos not all that quickly. It's still a good compromise.

3. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

my video library is 185gb, and my iPhoto is 130gb. Seems silly to have the program pop up fast, but not its contents...whats the use? Am i missing something?

4. simsaladimbamba

It seems so.

How do you expect SSD speeds from an HDD? The actual data iPhoto uses is on the HDD, having just the application on the SSD will not make that application accessing data on the HDD faster.

You could however replace the HDD with another SSD down the road.

5. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

You aren't missing anything, it's just prohibitively expensive to put all our giant libraries on SSD at the moment, so people make lots of compromises. If you can afford a big enough SSD then your libraries should go on it..