Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypress822

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
If i purchase a new iMac with ssd pre-installed, OS will be preloaded on the ssd. I understand that. From what i understand, a good idea is to movie iPhoto and iMovie library to the HDD. If one does that, do you lose the ssd speed when using iPhoto and and iMovie because their libraries are on the hdd, and the program is on the ssd?

Perry

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
The application will load quickly, the photos not all that quickly. It's still a good compromise.

cypress822

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
my video library is 185gb, and my iPhoto is 130gb. Seems silly to have the program pop up fast, but not its contents...whats the use? Am i missing something?

Nov 28, 2010
located
my video library is 185gb, and my iPhoto is 130gb. Seems silly to have the program pop up fast, but not its contents...whats the use? Am i missing something?

It seems so.

How do you expect SSD speeds from an HDD? The actual data iPhoto uses is on the HDD, having just the application on the SSD will not make that application accessing data on the HDD faster.

You could however replace the HDD with another SSD down the road.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK

You aren't missing anything, it's just prohibitively expensive to put all our giant libraries on SSD at the moment, so people make lots of compromises. If you can afford a big enough SSD then your libraries should go on it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.