SSD is awessasssome!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sairo, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

I was just in my local iCentre and tried out the rMBP. The display was nice(not to wauwzed since my iPhone had retina) but the speed was like daaaaayuuuuum.
    I tried to open all the apps at once and BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM they all came at me one after another.
    Now Im sure I need à SSD in my late 2010. BAM BAM BAM Photoshop!!!

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

I don't know about Dutch prices, but SSD prices have dropped 50% in the past 6 months. 256gb is now very affordable.

3. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

What?

Is it really so hard to use proper English, you take the time to make up words and place terrible accent on them; why not do it properly after all the effort?

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Once again, it looks like it would be massively easier to just type in regular English, but that's just me.

5. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

Not to impresses because off my IPhone with the retina screen. Happy? =)

----------

Yes thats true. Plan on getting one by the end of the month. Dropped my current 750GB today so i have to replace that one first.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I got my first SSD a little over a year ago and replaced the base HDD in my Mac Pro. I would never boot off a platter again!!!! Night and Day! Since then I replaced my Mac Mini, bought a MBA and recently ordered a rMBP.....SSD for life here (well until the next faster thing comes out! Come on quantum drives!!!)

7. Shreddah macrumors newbie

What is this, an english lesson? Stick to the topic, why do we have to attack the way people type...

8. Dmack4142 macrumors newbie

Is it really so hard to not come in here and try and act like a big headed pedantic know-it-all. He was impressed with something so he used his own words to express his joy. Nothing wrong with that, bloody grammar police annoy me.

9. rafatkd macrumors newbie

Agreed.

Sometimes is truly hard to put everything into words in a totally different language for me.

About the thread, using a mac without a SSD is no longer an option lol. I bought a Macbook Pro and in the same week I ordered a OCZ Vertex 4.

10. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

Indeed! I thought people where over reactin with the super fast but now that ive tried it myself Im in love.

11. gizze macrumors newbie

What do you know about proper English? You're and American aren't you?! :p

12. LachlanH macrumors regular

Struth, what's all this proper English nonsense about, can't a bloke just be bloomin happy with his SSD?

I agree though mate, the first time I used my SSD equipped MBP I thought it was the ducks guts. I was all like "Crikey, this things a bloody ripper!"

13. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

The only downside I can think of is my bathroom break before the MacBook boots up.
    Normally you can press power, go to the bathroom and then come back with à booted OS.
    Now Its press, put down MacBook, Its ON. Nice.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I hardly use my MacBook these days thanks to iDevices but it's a total pain to use when you're used to instant app loading times. Now that SSD prices have fallen I'm totally on board. I plan on updating my sluggish (load times wise) mid 07 white MacBook just to increase it's life. I did a little research and saw some real world usage videos and was blown away by how fast this 5 year old MacBook can be with an SSD. It's just unbelievable.

15. LachlanH macrumors regular

In all seriousness and without resorting to any more Australian "boganism's", I would never buy another laptop without an SSD, and my next desktop whether it be PC or Mac, will have an SSD boot drive. They are just so much quicker than regular HDD's.

I have a 2011 13" MBP that was BTO with an SSD. People bring in brand new 15" MBP's, we had a 2012 13" MBP the other day, ALL of them feel so slow after over a year of using my 13" with SSD daily.

And by all accounts the SSD's in the 2012 Mac line up are significantly quicker than last years Apple BTO SSD's so it's really a no brainer choice.

16. colour macrumors regular

Dutch English accents have really grown on me since having to work with many of them at the new company I am at. I love you guys !

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

18. wethackrey, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012

wethackrey macrumors 6502

First... I agree completely. The SSD is wicked fast. I had one in a build-to-order 17" MBP a year ago and is rocked! VERY fast and much better battery life. Sadly that machine was stolen and I didn;t have time to wait for another SSD.

I've been using a new MBPr with a 750GB SSD for a few days now. It is SMOKIN!. Expensive, but VERY fast and outrageous battery life. I think I've bought my last laptop without an SSD.

I did experiment with a hybrid drive for awhile - a Seagate Momentus XT. It had about 9GB of SSD and the balance was standard HD. It used a very slick algorithm that tried to keep the data that was needed most often on the SSD. It worked great. Quite a bit faster boots. No improvement in battery life though and, overall not near as fast as a 100% SSD.

Second... Don't sweat the English critics. They only wish they spoke more than one language. Personally I can't stand textspeak, but I though what you wrote was cool.

Hey, I'm the first to agree that textspeak is childish. I'm a writer and generally passionate about communication being a critical skill. When I see "R U ne gud @ kumunikatn" it makes me want to reach through the ether and punch the poster in the face.

Having said that, I don't see a problem with the OP's post. He was trying to emulate the way people speak. More exactly, the way a certain segment of the US population speaks. It got the point across for me, and it was crafted with at least a modicum of care.

I wonder how you and I would come across trying to communicate on a Dutch forum. We zouden waarschijnlijk overkomen als ongeschoold hansworsten!

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Which irritates me as well. When people say 'dayum' or 'bam bam bam bam it's done' in real life it still irritates me. No reason for it to be any different when typed out.

I wouldn't do very well on a Dutch forum, which explains my lack of membership to any predominantly Dutch forum.

20. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

The hybrid was my first choice because of the storage and the flash. But now I used à real SSD Im spoiled.
    But now I crashed my 750GB Im doubting to first buy the Hybrid and wait untill the end of the year to see that the SSD'S became cheaper again.

Thanks for undertanding my joy.
    Its a way of making clear how nice I tought it was.

----------

Ben ervan overtuigd dat je jezelf wel zou redden. ;)