SSD - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ne0the1, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Ne0the1 macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm considering upgrading my hard drive, for both my Macbook Pro and iMac.

I've already upgraded the RAM, I heard upgrading the hard drive to an SSD would increase the performance a lot. How true is this? Is it worth it?

2. Skika macrumors 68030

Its very true and its worth it, probably the biggest/most important upgrade you can make.

3. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Huge improvement.....just recently I installed it on my daughters MBP 2011. Unreal difference.....go for it. Period.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's a huge difference in performance and well worth the money spent.

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It's much faster and is more resistant to bumps and drops than a HDD.

Whether it's worth it or not is subjective. Personally, I don't find them worth it. After using SSDs exclusively for years, my current main laptop doesn't have one and I haven't really missed it. YMMV.

6. zone23 macrumors 68000

Absolutely without a doubt worth every penny. That said make sure you do some homework. Some SSD drives get their performance benchmark by compressing data you don't want that. I use Samsung EVO drives.

7. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Like night and day. Best $120 I ever spent on a computer upgrade.

Don't delay!

8. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Since the price has dropped significantly in the last few years, it is well worth it. My 13 nrMBP boots in 11 sec, and my buddies is over 2 minutes for the same machine. I just installed a Samsung 850 Evo 256G for $97 on Amazon. The drive makes NO NOISE and the MBP is much cooler. And even with everything on my SSD that i use, I still have 175G go free space. Didn't really need the 512G, but I think they were around $160. Way less expensive than Apple, for those few people these days that have upgradable computers!

9. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

We can just continue upgrading them forever ;). Who needs any of that retina rubbish?

10. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I put an SSD in my 2010 Macbook Pro and it runs like a champ now. Made a huge difference in mine. Just do it!

11. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys i'm considering getting an SSD hard drive for my Macbook Pro and my iMac.

I heard that they will really increae the speed, but is it very noticable?

12. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Very much so. The benefits of an SSD in a laptop are: reduced noise, reduced heat, increased battery life, and increased data access/loading speed. It is literally the best upgrade for any laptop.

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Honestly, it is one of the best upgrades you can do and one of the few that you'll actually feel in everything you do. Booting up, shutting down, opening apps, video transcoding, game load times. Everything sees a drastic improvement and it's very noticeable.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it is the best thing to happen to computers since dual core CPU's.

15. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It is noticeably faster for booting, large file transfers, opening applications, or anything else that uses the disk heavily. It does not help with tasks that are not disk intensive, such as web browsing.

16. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

It is, to put it in the words of the late and great Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, "the bee's knees".

17. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Massive difference. Like from the speed of photosynthesis, to Warp. And then some.

But beware. Once done, the next time you work on any machine that still spins a HDD, you will cry from frustration. At least I do.

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Without a doubt, I would highly recommend a SSD. The biggest thing they help with is the wait for the physical head platter to get to the data. If you are doing virtualization, you will notice, because when you have 2+ operating systems contend for just one read/write stack of heads, it adss a big performance penalty. SSD, this is gone.

I will state one caveat though: SSDs can lose all your data all at once, with zero hope of recovery. If you have not already, buy yourself either an external HDD or a Time Capsule, and consider a service like Mozy. You want at least two lines of defenses for your files if possible.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep this is excellent advice a good backup system is fairly essential with SSD's.

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

If no one has mentioned this yet......YES

I will never go back to an HDD again....Never !

21. IanKelleigh macrumors newbie

22. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Worth depends on how you work and what you do, but yes they're faster.

24. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies.

How can I make sure I get the right drive for my Macbook Pro and iMac? Both Mid 2011.