SSD issues on 2014 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nexus4life, Jul 19, 2014.

1. nexus4life macrumors regular

I just bought an 11" macbook air last week (arrived couple days ago) and I absolutely love this thing. But one thing that concerned me was I figured out it has a Toshiba SSD, which so happens to be the kind that was recalled on 2013 models. People have said the Haswell MBAs use the same SSDs as before, so is it likely that mine might be plagued with the same issues others are having after 12-15 months?

I haven't bought Applecare yet; was planning to do that just before the year mark of ownership if I was not planning to upgrade to (hopefully released) Retina MBA.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

You figure it has the Toshiba SSD, but you don't know? Why not check? You can determine this by Looking at System Information, under Storage - If the entry for APPLE SSD is followed by SM, then it's the Samsung, if it's followed by TS then it's the Toshiba, and SD is SanDisk.

I have a 2012 that originally came with a Toshiba, Apple issued a firmware update, and I never had any issues with it. I am now using it as an external SSD in an enclosure.

Lou

3. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

My post clearly says I know it's Toshiba lol. That's why I'm concerned.

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

5. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

Happens to all of us. And you're right, I thought it was 2013 models as well. Glad I'm wrong because hopefully no more issues with them crop up.

Still trying to figure out if I were to return mine if I'd get a shot at a Samsung SSD because it seems like those are the highest performing of the 3 according to some benchmarks I've seen.

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Truthfully, SSDs are so darn fast, that in an MBA, I don't think you'd notice the difference in speed between one OEM SSD over another.

Lou