SSD life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRyu, Jun 12, 2012.

1. iRyu macrumors regular

I'm going to buy low end Retina MBP. the only thing I worry is the SSD life in the new mbp. How long does it usually last compare to HDD?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

An SSD will generally last longer than a mechanical hard drive and is less prone to failure. The only thing that can really fail is the controller. There are many components in a mechanical HDD that can fail. Studies show that most HDDs fail after about 3 years of use.

Unless you're asking about NAND durability? If they are using something based on the Samsung 830, then the average user will easily get over 5 years of use before wearing out the NAND. Wearing out NAND just means that you won't be able to write to it any more, but you'll still be able to read your data off the drive.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'd trust an SSD to a spinny drive any day of the week.

My only concern is how everything is connected to the boards now. I don't know how it works—is the Samsung controller soldered on and the blade-style chips connect into that? Or what? I'm used to "boxy" SSDs that you can install into a standard SATA type port. So if the controller went, would the whole motherboard need to be replaced?