SSD, Lion clean install, Apple ID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bomsom, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bomsom macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm adding a SSD to my 15" MBP 2009. I have the stock HDD with Snow Leopard installed and have some questions:

1- Can I make a clean install of Lion directly in the SSD or I have to install Lion first over SL on the HDD and use the recover partition to install on the SSD?

2- Do I have to deauthorize the Computer in iTunes because of the HDD and OS replacement? I don't want the same Mac to count twice on my computer limit of 5.

2. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

1. So far, no according to steve jobs. You'll have to install SL first.

2. Yes. Deauthorize first.

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You can only install Lion with Snow Leopard already installed. Can you upgrade your HDD to Lion and then transfer your HDD to SDD and then format the HDD?

4. bomsom thread starter macrumors member

Thank you fibrizo.

You can only install Lion with Snow Leopard already installed. Can you upgrade your HDD to Lion and then transfer your HDD to SDD and then format the HDD?

Yes I think I'll have to do that.

The problem is that all the stuff in the HDD doesn't fit in the SSD. OSX and Apps yes, but not all media files.

I´ll have to transfer just part of it (don´t know how) or
    install clean on the SSD using HDD recover partition and transfer configs and apps with Time machine or Migration assistant.

Any suggestions?

5. pazz macrumors regular

I would do a fresh install, there will be pointless and possibly corrupt data present on the HDD which you will be writing to the SSD.

6. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

You can't OFFICIALLY do a clean install of Lion, but TECHNICALLY you can. This method will most likely carry over to the release where you can inspect the contents of the installer and pull out the dmg file that is bootable, then either burn it to a disc or jump drive.

Making SSD owners have to install SL then upgrade to Lion should be a crime since it uses up precious rewrites.

7. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

but wont TRIM being enabled in Lion cure this issue?

8. deosaa7 macrumors member

I really don't mean to hijack this thread but I keep hearing these terms TRIM/rewrites in terms of SSDs..I have a new MBP with Apple's 128gb SSD and if any of you kind people could direct me to a resource which explains this stuff I would appreciate it..my understanding so far is that SSDs work only a limited amount but will in the long run be guarenteed to die unless TRIM is enabled?

9. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

I'll give you the quick guide, SSD's have significantly less rewrites on sectors, which means each little box of 512 or 4096 bytes (depending on legacy or advanced formatting) can only be written to so many times before it degrades and can't accurately hold a charge.

TRIM helps to solve this problem by identifying these bad spots and the SSD makes a note of them (or rather erases the reference to them forever) and skips them when writing new data. Essentially, over time your SSD will shrink.

Another technique to combat this degration is wear-leveling. This spreads the wealth over the SSD and makes it so no one section is written to constantly.

for more information, wikipedia is your friend

10. bomsom thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I read about it. Think I'm going this way.
    Can I use the migration assistant to get just email and system settings from the old HDD using a external USB enclosure?

11. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

Here is how it's done:

http://eggfreckles.net/tech/burning-a-lion-boot-disc/

12. bomsom thread starter macrumors member

Install direct in SSD

Now that Lion is out and a lot of people already have installed it, I read in several blogs that in the install process you can choose which disk you want to use.

If yes, I can put the SSD in optical drive slot (optibay) together with the original HDD with SL, download Lion and point the installation to the brand new SSD and start clean!
    The SSD has limited space (as always!) so I´ll carefully choose what to install. Besides I have a lot of Apps I don't use anymore, it´s a good chance to get rid of them and don't leave anything behind.

At first I´ll have two system running, clean Lion on SSD and SL on HDD. After migration is all done I can format the HDD and put all my media library in there, and leave just the OS and Apps on the SSD.

Is this correct or am I missing something??:confused:

13. Mackblack macrumors newbie

I am in thinking of doing the same, anybody know if this will work?

14. dp84 macrumors member

In Lion you can't choose what to install (fonts, printers..)

15. Mackblack macrumors newbie

I am getting a new OWC 128gb SSD for my Macbook and I am looking to do a clean or fresh install, I just created a bootable LION disk. My question is Can I plug the ssd to the computer and do a clean install of the LION or do I need to install snow lion first and then do a lion install. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Make a backup of your stuff and try it, stop wanting people to spoon feed you information!

Get to experimenting, son!

17. Dave421 macrumors member

You can do a full Lion install without the SL install. I did the same thing yesterday. Worked like a champ.

18. Mackblack macrumors newbie

Thank you!

19. mrdma macrumors newbie