Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tablatom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hi,
my 2.1Ghz i-sight 20" imac with 2.5gig's of ram has just received a new SSD.
A 256gig Samsung 830. The imac is my second computer. As SSD's are so much cheaper now, i thought i'd give it a boost.
And eventually when i upgrade my primary mac i will put the SSD in that.

It is working well with os x 10.5.8.

But i am a bit surprised with a geekbench result.

Before the original HDD 7200rpm was taken out with os x Tiger i got a 32bit geekbench score of 1300 which is high for this spec imac.

Now with the SSD the imac scores 1060 which is more normal.

Can anyone tell me how to get the best out of the SSD with Leopard?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Kinda wonder why you would spend $300 to update a 7-year-old computer.

Also wonder if the G5 iMac has the appropriate bus speeds to even take advantage of SSD. I don't think SATA III had been invented yet.

tablatom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Kinda wonder why you would spend $300 to update a 7-year-old computer.

Also wonder if the G5 iMac has the appropriate bus speeds to even take advantage of SSD. I don't think SATA III had been invented yet.

When i get a new mac i will use the samsung 830 in that. And i'll Carbon copy the SSD onto a basic HDD and put that into this old imac.

Yes you are right.
The G5 has a SATA speed of only 1.5G/second.

But why would the SSD have a lower Geekbench score.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
What was your computer doing at the time? Geekbench only tests your memory and CPU so it is not affected by your how fast your storage is.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
When i get a new mac i will use the samsung 830 in that. And i'll Carbon copy the SSD onto a basic HDD and put that into this old imac.

Yes you are right.
The G5 has a SATA speed of only 1.5G/second.

But why would the SSD have a lower Geekbench score.

Couple thoughts -
- Maybe the HDD was doing some sort of caching?
- I just noticed the OS difference. I think Leopard has a higher RAM requirement than Tiger. So Geekbench might be resulting in more swapping. You can check that in Activity Monitor.

tablatom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Couple thoughts -
- Maybe the HDD was doing some sort of caching?
- I just noticed the OS difference. I think Leopard has a higher RAM requirement than Tiger. So Geekbench might be resulting in more swapping. You can check that in Activity Monitor.

Yes i think Leopard is a bit hungrier.

But its great starting App's on a G5 imac lightning fast.

Its only my first session with the new SSD and the G5 with the SSD definitely is faster, apps start almost instantly, and as time goes by i might notice other speed ups

----------

LOL i am enjoying watching Safari load a page in 2 seconds from the time i click on the Safari icon to start the app

Last edited:

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
G5 iMac must be what, SATA 1?

Actually I am surprised it is SATA at all and not IDE.

Essentially what you have done is buy a brand new USB 3 drive and connected it to a USB 1 port.

Having said that, SSD's are awesome and even on SATA 1 is giving you a nice speed boost by the sound of it. Carrying that drive over to your next computer is a smart move, especially given that it's probably worth about as much as the whole iMac.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It is still faster. Forget Geekbench since it does not test drives. If you want to see a speed test that does, test with Xbench on the HDD then SSD. It will increase at least 30%

----------

Geekbench is just a **** measuring tool anyways. Just use it, you know the SSD is much faster.

tablatom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
G5 iMac must be what, SATA 1?

Actually I am surprised it is SATA at all and not IDE.

Essentially what you have done is buy a brand new USB 3 drive and connected it to a USB 1 port.

Having said that, SSD's are awesome and even on SATA 1 is giving you a nice speed boost by the sound of it. Carrying that drive over to your next computer is a smart move, especially given that it's probably worth about as much as the whole iMac.

LOL indeed, don't think i'll get much for this old bird when i sell it.
Its the second day with the upgrade, and i am loving the much more responsive G5.

----------

It is still faster. Forget Geekbench since it does not test drives. If you want to see a speed test that does, test with Xbench on the HDD then SSD. It will increase at least 30%

----------

Geekbench is just a **** measuring tool anyways. Just use it, you know the SSD is much faster.

I just XBENCHED it and got a score of 84.50.

I'll have to check it out and see if thats good.

Thanks for the info.

----------

G5 imac xbench average is 72.10.

Mine is 84.50.

But most of the imac's wire 1.8 or 2.0Ghz's and mine is the 2.1, so i guess it should be a little better.

But maybe the SSD is helping too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.