SSD M.2 vs SATA 3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mavericks7913, May 29, 2017.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

I have M.2 SSD with PCIE adapter and Im quite satisfying with this one. I know that M.2 SSD is much faster than SATA 3 SSD but I dont see any benefits at all. All LR catalogs and files are located in HDD. The speed is extremely fast but I really really dont see any differences between M.2 and SATA3. Did I missing something or it's just meaningless to get faster one?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you got an M.2 SATA then it's still SATA 6Gb/s.

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

M.2 is the connector / form factor standard. It supports 2 types of protocols, SATA and NVMe. Each has a different connector: SATA has 2 notches in the edge connector, NVMe has 1. So not all M.2 connectors (and motherboards) will support both standards.

Obviously the SATA protocol will only allow up to 6 Gbps (~ 600 MBps) currently, so it won't be much better than a regular SATA port.

However, if you have an NVMe one, that is where you will see the significant performance boost, such as the Samsung 960 EVO which has something like 2000 MBps read and 1000 MBps write.

4. kschendel macrumors 6502a

I have both SATA 2 and NVMe SSD's in my Mac Pro, and while the NVMe is quite a bit faster when measured, it's only a little bit faster subjectively for most things. An I/O intensive DBMS test might finish in 40 minutes on the NVMe and an hour on the SATA SSD, but for most interactive things it's very hard to tell the difference.