ssd mac osx 10.10.5 or 10.11 question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perlsyntax, Sep 16, 2015.

1. perlsyntax macrumors 6502

I plan to put samsung ssd drive into macbook pro mid 2012.And i want to know if i should wait for mac OS X 10.11 or put in it in mac OS X 10.10.5?My other question Do i need to make a copy of mac OS X 10.10.5 put on a usb drive?Would a samsung sad 500gb be better then a 250gb ssd?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The OS version doesn't matter, you don't need to wait. I've been upgrading instead of clean installing for years with no problems.

You don't need to make a copy of OS X on a thumb drive, simply hold cmd-R at boot, format the new SSD and install OS X.

As far as the 500GB being better than 250GB, what do you mean by better exactly? I can't tell you how much space you need, that's up to you.

3. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't understand what you mean by command-R and format the new ssd and install OS X?YOu mean i got to copy it first and then put in the mac?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. You do know you could've googled all this right? You would've gotten complete instructions faster than asking here.

Search for "reinstall OS X" on google, the very first result will be this:
    https://support.apple.com/fr-ca/HT204904

You put the SSD in. You boot while holding the key combination cmd-R.

You will be taken to internet recovery mode.

From there, you go into disk utility, format the new SSD as OS X Extended (Journaled). Once it's done, you quit disk utility and install OS X following the instructions on the screen.

5. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry that part i didn't know i just new to the mac.And i thought you hard drive to to do recovery wow that easy:)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you do if you want Yosemite on the SSD. Before you swap out to the SSD go to the App Store and redownload Yosemite then stop the installer (command-q) when it launches. Then use the app DiskmakerX and a 8GB USB key to make the installer. Then install the SSD and option key boot to the USB key. From there use Disk Utility to erase the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Then quit DU and click install OS at the top. That will give you the SSD with a fresh install of Yosemite.

Doing Internet recovery as was suggested earlier will not give you Yosemite like you want. Internet recovery always gives you the OS that shipped from the factory. In your case probably Lion or Mountain Lion OS X.

If you want to go straight to Yosemite you will need to make the USB key.

7. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks i know that. Oh i see then i be getting mac os x10.9 that come with my macbook pro:)
    I do got a backup of mac os x 10.10 with diskmakerX for save keep just in case i need that.:)