SSD making noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the original HDD in the MBP to my Crucial M4 SSD. I think everything right, since the MBP boots just fine and everything seems to run fine, with one exception - My MBP emits some noise that wasn't there before when I had the HDD. When I listen carefully, it sounds like it's coming from the SSD. Does anyone know what's going on?

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

That's weird since SSD's have no moving parts. Did you maybe drop something in the fans? I honestly can't think of anything else.

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

do you know that it takes about 15 to 25 volts or even higher just to change the state of the flash. imagine it has to do that a couple million times a second. you get that high frequency screeching sound. its surprising that ssd lasted the way they do.
    if the noise is to loud and distracting you then send it back for an exchange. they all have different level of audible screeching sound.

on my laptop the ram was making noise, i just swap them out for quieter rams.:D
    it can be very distracting when you sitting there quite and study.

4. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

No, no, it's not constant while running the computer, only when I boot (as in completely shut down to reboot).

Also I'm not completely sure if it's from the SSD or not. It could be from the optical drive, even though I don't have any CD's in there... In either case, it's from the right side of the Mac where the SSD/ODD is located.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sounds can be quite hard to describe in words, so how about you record the sound and upload it to YouTube, then post the link :)

7. tadziak macrumors regular

Check if it happens when ssd is writing/reading files. Best way to check is for example running a "Repair Disk Permissions" on the SSD. If it emits noise then - it means its the SSD. I had 3 Retina Macbooks and they all did it.