SSD MBP Questions - Yes, I've Done My Research.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traverse, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying that YES I have researched this information and currently have 18 Macrumors threads that I'm looking through to answer these questions, but I wanted to ask them myself too.

- I have a 2011 MBP and am thinking about upgrading the HDD with a Samsung 840 series SSD. Is this a good brand? Will it increase my performance? Is it worth it?

- Will installing a third party SSD cause problems with OSX updates and upgrades?

- How can I enable TRIM on this drive?

- How do I get my system back on it? Create a ML Recover drive to install OSX and then use a Time Machine backup?

Thank you for helping me. Yes, these questions my be answered by reading the aforementioned threads that I am working on, but I wanted some personal feedback since I do not have money to waste.

Thank you so much.

----------

OH!

And..

-How do I update the firmware and know when an update exists.

-I need a 2.5 SATA connection does SATA II or SATA III matter or are they interchangeable?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Good brand. Huge increase. Worth it hands down. Firmware on samsung.com. No problems with OSX. Just format the drive then do Internet Recovery for Mountain Lion then Time Machine.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

1. Samsung 840 are great SSDs. One of the highest regarded around on MR here and other sites. It will be 100% worth it.

2. No issues at all with updates.

3. There is a freeware program out there called 'Trim Enabler' that you can use to enable TRIM. Works like a charm. Used it on several machines.

4. Create a TimeMachine Backup on an external drive, put the new drive in and walkthrough the steps to install the OS, then restore the whole thing from the TM backup. Pretty foolproof.

5. The connections are interchangable. Your computer supports SATA III which is twice is fast as SATA II, as well as the fact that Samsung is a SATA III you'll be good to go.

Hope that helps!

4. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for the quick replies! Much Appreciated! :D