SSD not reading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by av8raaron, Nov 15, 2014.

1. av8raaron, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

av8raaron macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to clone my HDD to an SSD (swapping in a Samsung 840). I'm using the Apricorn EZ Upgrade kit. When I plug the drive in inside the external enclosure, the light blinks but I can't see the new SSD in Disk Utility or a Finder window. For whatever it's worth I'm using a MBP late-2011 13". What am I missing here?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There really is no trick to it. It should just show up in Disk Utility. Sounds like you either have a bad drive or a bad enclosure.

3. av8raaron thread starter macrumors newbie

This might be a dumb question, but although the enclosure doesn't include a power supply, there's a 5 VDC input to the case. I assumed an SSD would get plenty of power through the built-in USB port. Before I go back to return them, is there any reason to think there's not enough amperage going to the drive?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... USB powered drives do not normally have a DC power input like that, so you may be onto something there. I know some of the larger capacity SSDs pull a fair amount of power, so that may be the issue.

Did it not come with a DC adaptor?

5. av8raaron thread starter macrumors newbie

No DC adapter came with the enclosure, but then again it can accept up to a 3.5" HDD and draw more power.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you run down to Radio Shack or something and grab a DC adaptor?

7. av8raaron thread starter macrumors newbie

Disregard all - turns out it was an issue with me not getting the SSD properly seated. Oops. Thanks for the help, though.