SSD not shown to install OS on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evo13, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Evo13 macrumors newbie

I was trying to do a clean install of Yosemite and I erased my content off my SSD through disk utility and now when I try to install the OS, it does not show my SSD as an option to install it onto.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Perhaps you made it non-bootable in some way, does it show in Disk Utility? Can you re-partition it to recreate the Macintosh drive to install it on and then see if the installer sees it?

As a general rule, unless you have an issue to resolve, it isn't necessary to erase content before a routine OS upgrade.

3. Evo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows Samsung SSD but nothing underneath of it, I can see a partition but I can not run it. I wanted to clean install just so I can clean some stuff up.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

5. Evo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it will not let me.

I ran disk verifcation and got this:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What are you booted from while trying to do this?

You need to boot from something other than the SSD, and in Disk Util select the SSD brand name at the very top and then go to the erase tab and erase the entire drive. That should wipe the core storage volume you still have on there from the previous Yosemite install.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try selecting the SSD and hitting "Erase". Make the name "Macintosh HD" or something else if you like and ensure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

8. Evo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for not responding, but the hard drive was locked and I had to erase the disk through terminal. Got it to work, just not enjoying Yosemite....