SSD not shown to install OS on

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I was trying to do a clean install of Yosemite and I erased my content off my SSD through disk utility and now when I try to install the OS, it does not show my SSD as an option to install it onto.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I was trying to do a clean install of Yosemite and I erased my content off my SSD through disk utility and now when I try to install the OS, it does not show my SSD as an option to install it onto.
Perhaps you made it non-bootable in some way, does it show in Disk Utility? Can you re-partition it to recreate the Macintosh drive to install it on and then see if the installer sees it?

As a general rule, unless you have an issue to resolve, it isn't necessary to erase content before a routine OS upgrade.

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Perhaps you made it non-bootable in some way, does it show in Disk Utility? Can you re-partition it to recreate the Macintosh drive to install it on and then see if the installer sees it?

As a general rule, unless you have an issue to resolve, it isn't necessary to erase content before a routine OS upgrade.
It shows Samsung SSD but nothing underneath of it, I can see a partition but I can not run it. I wanted to clean install just so I can clean some stuff up.

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Will it let you repartition it?
No it will not let me.

I ran disk verifcation and got this:
Verifying partition map for “Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB Media”
Checking prerequisites
Checking the partition list
Checking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition’s size
Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Checking booter partitions
Checking booter partition disk0s3Verifying file system.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Recovery HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions
Verifying storage system
Checking volumedisk0s2:
Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2:
Scan for Disk Labels
Logical Volume Group EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata Volume
Logical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancy
Start scanning metadata for a valid checkpoint
Load and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify
Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 0 Logical VolumesLoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual Addresses
Newest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify
Segment CleaningThe volume EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.The partition map appears to be OK
Verifying and repairing partition map for “Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition list
Adjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition’s size
Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Checking booter partitions
Checking booter partition disk0s3Reviewing boot support loaders
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions
Verifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 0 Logical VolumesLoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment Cleaning
The volume EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Repairing storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 0 Logical VolumesLoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual Addresses
Newest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment Cleaning
The volume EF493539-33A2-43E5-A458-C8A61FDFE913 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Updating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It shows Samsung SSD but nothing underneath of it, I can see a partition but I can not run it. I wanted to clean install just so I can clean some stuff up.
What are you booted from while trying to do this?

You need to boot from something other than the SSD, and in Disk Util select the SSD brand name at the very top and then go to the erase tab and erase the entire drive. That should wipe the core storage volume you still have on there from the previous Yosemite install.

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Sorry for not responding, but the hard drive was locked and I had to erase the disk through terminal. Got it to work, just not enjoying Yosemite....