ssd novice question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jun 21, 2012.

1. cypress822 macrumors regular

Waiting to pull the trigger on 2011 or 2012 new iMac. I was going to blow off the ssd, but the more i read, the better it sounds.

Here are my questions.

This is a separate internal hard drive, right? And when your iMac ships, the OS is already loaded on it by default, right?
    So, when you are downloading various other programs, where do you download them--ssd or hard drive? That is what i do not understand. How do you determine what goes on your ssd and what goes on your hard drive. What about the photo library of over 30,000 pictures? What about hours of home video? What about documents? What about mircrosoft office for mac?
    Please advice...could use some advice.

2. thundermustard macrumors regular

If you are talking about getting a new iMac with a SSD drive then everything would be on the SSD. You would then have the option of offloading things like iTunes and iPhoto to the bigger internal drive.

If you add an SSD then the old internal drive would be the drive where all your programs and downloads reside. You would get no benefit without installing the OS on the new SSD drive. Then as described above, everything would be on the SSD, downloads, docs, etc. Once again though, you can move docs to the internal drive. All you have to do to move iPhoto and iTunes is drag it to a different drive then hold down the OPT key when you restart the app, it will ask where the library is located.

I installed a SSD in my 2011 iMac and it was a breeze. Really! Google OWC iMac SSD install and you can find the video and the kit.

This 512GB SSD is a steal at $400. If you buy a cheap enclosure for it and use Carbon Cloner you can clone your old drive onto your new one before installing it and it will boot right up. You might have to hold down the OPT key to tell it to boot from the SSD from now on, then erase it once you are happy with the clone of your SSD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W2JL3Y...tiveASIN=B004W2JL3Y&adid=15ZSYM110BCP6NADXZFF

And you can most likely fit iTunes and iPhoto on it, I can with 100 GB to spare.
    The 256GB is $204.

3. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

I would by buying a new computer with an ssd pre-installed.

4. thundermustard macrumors regular

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog