SSD now... HDD later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cthomas1489, May 3, 2011.

  1. cthomas1489 macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2011
    So I'm looking to have the SSD + 1TB HDD combo with my new iMac I'll be ordering.. I already have a 1TB 3.5" drive. If I get just the SSD is it possible to add the HDD on your own? (ie whatever bracket you might need is already there?)

    This is my first Mac.

  2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2006
    I could be wrong, but I don't think they include the bracket. It's only $100 more for the SDD + 1 TB HD. I'd just get the extra drive and use your spare one as a time machine backup. The suction cups and bracket will cost some money, making that $100 difference even less.
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Go with the SSD+HD now if you can. The surgery isn't that nice so if it's only like 100$ more, then it should be a no-brainer.
  4. macrumors newbie

    Dec 16, 2009
    I advise you to directly buy the 1Tb option with the SSD since Apple Hard disk has sometime their own Firmware designed by Apple. It could avoid some issue, like hard disk clicking and so on.

    Moreover, you will certainly have to buy specifics screws and the bracket that would cost you about 30$ (without screwdriver, suction cup, ...) + the fact that you will have to open your brand new iMac.

    DIY SSD integration may be interesting since Apple's SSD are crappy, but not DIY HD integration :p
  5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a


    Jun 20, 2009
    Only problem being the 4-6 week wait for SSD.
  6. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    Consider that Apple may use the blade SSD found in the MBA. If so, it means that slot is only for a blade SSD
  7. Scuby macrumors regular

    May 16, 2010
    Probably, because the 21" iMac now has the same SSD option as the 27", which it never used to have.

  8. cthomas1489 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks guys, I'll probably go for the combo. Damn wait though :(
  9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2008
    Ranchi, India
    If it's a MBA-style blade SSD..

    Any reason to thing we can't just buy one of the aftermarket blade SSDs and put it in ourselves? Yes I know opening iMacs has become tricky business, but otherwise? Any downside here?
  10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2006
    I think we need for someone to do a breakdown on the new iMac before we can accurately answer. It depends on how they're mounted, if they're 2.5" SSD or blade SSD.
  11. cthomas1489 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2011
    A teardown would be nice right aout now..
  12. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Apr 22, 2005
    Strangely, the 21" iMac only goes to a 2-3 week wait if you add an SSD, where the 27" goes to 4-6.

Share This Page