SSD now... HDD later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cthomas1489, May 3, 2011.

1. cthomas1489 macrumors newbie

So I'm looking to have the SSD + 1TB HDD combo with my new iMac I'll be ordering.. I already have a 1TB 3.5" drive. If I get just the SSD is it possible to add the HDD on your own? (ie whatever bracket you might need is already there?)

This is my first Mac.

Thanks!

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I could be wrong, but I don't think they include the bracket. It's only $100 more for the SDD + 1 TB HD. I'd just get the extra drive and use your spare one as a time machine backup. The suction cups and bracket will cost some money, making that $100 difference even less.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go with the SSD+HD now if you can. The surgery isn't that nice so if it's only like 100$ more, then it should be a no-brainer.

4. Spy.be macrumors newbie

I advise you to directly buy the 1Tb option with the SSD since Apple Hard disk has sometime their own Firmware designed by Apple. It could avoid some issue, like hard disk clicking and so on.

Moreover, you will certainly have to buy specifics screws and the bracket that would cost you about 30$ (without screwdriver, suction cup, ...) + the fact that you will have to open your brand new iMac.

DIY SSD integration may be interesting since Apple's SSD are crappy, but not DIY HD integration :p

5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Only problem being the 4-6 week wait for SSD.
    :mad:

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Consider that Apple may use the blade SSD found in the MBA. If so, it means that slot is only for a blade SSD

7. Scuby macrumors regular

Probably, because the 21" iMac now has the same SSD option as the 27", which it never used to have.

David

8. cthomas1489 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'll probably go for the combo. Damn wait though :(

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

If it's a MBA-style blade SSD..

Any reason to thing we can't just buy one of the aftermarket blade SSDs and put it in ourselves? Yes I know opening iMacs has become tricky business, but otherwise? Any downside here?

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I think we need for someone to do a breakdown on the new iMac before we can accurately answer. It depends on how they're mounted, if they're 2.5" SSD or blade SSD.

11. cthomas1489 thread starter macrumors newbie

A teardown would be nice right aout now..

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

Strangely, the 21" iMac only goes to a 2-3 week wait if you add an SSD, where the 27" goes to 4-6.