SSD OCZ Vertex Plus doubt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theros, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Theros macrumors newbie

Hallo, i have currently a MBP 17'' Early 2011 with an SSD Samsung 470 128gb which is almost full.

I live in Mexico (exactly Cancun) and is very difficult to find SSD's at great price, only in bigger cities like Mexico city i can find shops for PC components, sadly there isn't one close from where i live.

My only option are some stores here in my city which are Apple premium resellers (like every Apple SSD they are overpriced for almost 1000 dollars the 256gb model).

I can't go back to HDD after using SSD for almost 1 year, so i had to order a new one through internet that was on discount, exactly an OCZ Vertex Plus of 240gb (model:OCZSSD2-1VTXPL240G), this is my first OCZ so i dont have really experience with this brand.

I will update the drive to the last firmware when it arrives, but i would like to ask if anybody had before this SSD/brand before and how was the experience with it, any problems with TRIM?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OCZ is a mature company. They have been selling SSDs for a couple years now and has gained a name for itself with their Sandforce-based SSDs.

It would appear the drive you purchased uses their Indilinx controller. That controller does support TRIM (in Windows 7 natively) and has built-in garbage collection.

From a technical standpoint, OCZ does not have a Mac-based utility to update the firmware. You would need to install Windows to do so, or connect the drive to a Windows-based machine to update the firmware.

Also, I'm curious how much did you pay for the 240GB Vertex Plus?

3. Theros thread starter macrumors newbie

For the Vertex Plus i paid like 300 dollars in pesos (including shipping), there are some SATA 3 SSD's but here they costs like 500-700 dollars for a similar 256gb model but i saw that some have problems, i want only more space and a similar performance to my Samsung 470 so SATA 3 is not ''must'' for me, also here PC components are imported from the U.S so most are resellers.

I was going to the U.S in April but at the end a similar SSD plus the flight will be almost the same price for what it costs here and really i need more space because im almost full with my current SSD.

Thanks for the info!