SSD of ATA hard disc for a new mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by themoffster, Jun 23, 2011.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting a SSD for my new mac.
    The only think putting me off is the price as with a printer and the SSD, i'm looking at over £2k (about $3.5k) and it's quite steep.

Are the SSDs worth the money?
    This will be my first mac.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

If you dont know what an SSD is or how it could benefit you and its cost prohibitive, then just dont get it?

seems pretty simple to me.

3. themoffster thread starter macrumors regular

Where did i say i don't know what it is or how it could benefit me?
    I asked whether they were worth what you get.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. themoffster thread starter macrumors regular

Err no... this would be me asking as I don't know what an SSD is or how it could benefit me
    This is what I asked
    Asking if something is worth the money is very, very different from saying you don't know what they are or what you could benefit from them

6. Norne macrumors member

Look, Badger may have sounded a bit stiff to you, but it boils down really to an argument along these lines:

For the moment, let's assume you do know what an SSD is and how it will benefit you.

Now, why would your initial question make sense? In reality, you state there that price is the only thing holding you off the purchase. Now, since we are given no clues (other than this being your first Mac, not a lot that is, mind you) as to your usage or budget trade-offs; what sensible input would you expect in response to your OP that could not be had from browsing those other threads on a similar note?:confused:

Alternatively, you were unsure about SSDs and how they benefit you-but then Badger was spot on, or?