Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Hi,

What adaptor are people using to attach their SSDs to a Drive Sled? Can I use it on both 3,1 and 5,1 Sleds?

Thanks a lot
Dave

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
I think that one will only work with 5,1 not 3,1 plus its mega expensive to import (I'm in the EU/Spain)

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
You could use your existing sled(s) and buy a 3,5" to 2,5" adapter:
I don't know which commercial platforms are common in Spain but there should be even cheaper options without a PCB.

edit:
For a quick fix, in the 4,1 and 5,1 you can simply plug the SSD into one of the two optical bay SATA connectors without any sleds or mounting.

And if know someone with a 3D printer:

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Hi,

What adaptor are people using to attach their SSDs to a Drive Sled? Can I use it on both 3,1 and 5,1 Sleds?

Thanks a lot
Dave

These are the ones I use for adapting any 2.5" SSD

I've used them on sleds, multibay JBOD enclosures etc.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Ok, I'll take a look. One thing I thought maybe I could butcher an old HDD (I have loads). Take everything out from the steal case and put the SSD inside it somehow. Anyone else tried this?

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
I had a look, the links are broken on most of the European resellers and I can't see find drives sleds on any of the ones that work. i've sent them an email, hopefully they will get back to me with somewhere I can buy them from at a reasonable cost.

For what they are they are mega expensive too, $15 to $25, shipping $64 + 21% Tax, comes out at around $100. That 95 Euros for a sled mount! The SSD only cost me 35 Euros! Crazy!

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
I'm going to see if I can get something 3D printed locally or maybe go to a metal ship and see if they can do anything.....

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'm going to see if I can get something 3D printed locally or maybe go to a metal ship and see if they can do anything.....

is that really going to be cheaper or easier than just getting a ready-made solution, that has the PCB to adapt the pins, power connectors etc?

For what they are they are mega expensive too, $15 to $25, shipping $64 + 21% Tax, comes out at around $100. That 95 Euros for a sled mount! The SSD only cost me 35 Euros! Crazy!

Perhaps sign up to Amazon Prime for 1 month (it's ~AU$9/month here), then buy them through Amazon, and use the free international shipping Prime members get.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
is that really going to be cheaper or easier than just getting a ready-made solution, that has the PCB to adapt the pins, power connectors etc?

Perhaps sign up to Amazon Prime for 1 month (it's ~AU$9/month here), then buy them through Amazon, and use the free international shipping Prime members get.
I have no idea how much it will cost, I guess I'll find out. Amazon Prime might be an option,,,,,

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Strange as it may sound, you can simply push an SSD into an MP31 SATA port and it will hold. A little dollop of bluetack would make this even more so. One of my SSD has been like this, without the help of bluetack even, for ages without issue.

That is just because I have been too lazy to screw one of these, of which I have two spare lying around, to the regular sled:

Last edited:

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Yes, I've found it on Europe, for 26 Euros a pop! Considering the SSD itself was only 31 you have got to wonder what is going on in the world! I actually found a Sabrent adaptor similar in a box of disk related things. I'm wondering if this would work in the same way?
IMG_4530.JPG

Last edited:

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Yes, I've wondered if I could just leave it hanging, I've found the Sabrent version on Amazon, for 13 Euros, it says on the box that it is compatible with the Mac Pro, so it looks hopeful!

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
It works!

I'm going to buy a couple more of those adaptors, best option for people in Europe.

Thanks a lot for your help!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Great to hear the Sabrent adapter works as desired!

edit: While the ORICO adapter from Amazon.es in post #4 is only 10€, I just noticed the material is ABS.
So despite its look, it doesn't function as a heatsink - on the contrary.
And due to its larger footprint, it probably hinders the airflow in the Mac Pro slightly more than the Sabrent adapter.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.