SSD on external firewire 800, help on internal HDD resize

Discussion in 'iMac' started by al404, Jan 19, 2014.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

i decide to move my disk from internal to external SSD on firewire 800 case, i have a 2011 imac with only one thunderbolt and is very expensive to daisy chain

so i decide to start moving on cheaper firewire external case

i read some review about that and seems to give a good speed boost

i chose a 250Gb samsung 840 evo, i will get it in a couple of days

but after some cleaning i'm steal at 300Gb but 100Gb are from iPhoto and iTunes library that should be possible to move easily to external drive

what else should i move on external HDD?
    some advice for some cache file to move?

i'm going to carbon copy my internal drive to external one
    i would like to resize actual internal partition to 250Gb and create a new one where i would move what it would not feet on external SSD

what could i use to backup external SSD to internal, and to an other disk?
    time machine would recognize actual backup?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ what could i use to backup external SSD to internal, and to an other disk? ]]

You can use CarbonCopyCloner to backup "in any direction you want".

You can back up the internal drive to external.
    You can back up the external drive to internal.
    You can back up an external drive to another external.

It's very flexible.

3. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

actually i used synk for a long time and as a different approce, it monitor folders and immediately copy files that has been modify

i tryed CCC but i noticed that when it stars a backup it compares all files, and it seems to me that it does each time, slowing down imac

4. Bear macrumors G3

A SSD on FW800 is going to be slower than the internal disk. Your best bet is to get a Thunderbolt dock and put the SSD in a USB 3.0 case if you really want better disk speed.

5. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

actually on firewire 800 you get better speed than inside mechanical HDD
    there are some discussion on macrumors too , random read are a lot faster

my imac doesn't have USB 3 port and only one thunderbolt, unfortunately to daisy chain with an HUB would cost me about 300e + SSD

with 200e i got SSD + firewire 800 case
    when i would find a cheap thunderbolt solution i could always move to that

6. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

i did it, yesterday a copied and fix my drives and i can say that i have a big speed boost

i also have a mac book 13 with one year old samsung 830, this is samsung 840 evo

i tested both machine with black magic and mac book gets about 400 in write and more than 500 in read, imac test about 85 in both read and write but in real use mac book boots from shut down till when appears desktop in few seconds, my imac takes about 20 sec and i can say that this is the main difference
    applications opens in a couple of bounce and are ready, search with spotlight is much much faster

i'm not going to copy large amount of data on regular basis on SSD and i guess most people would not do it

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

With FireWire you'll never get much better than about 85MB/sec, but this may still be faster - especially in random read speed - than your internal mechanical hard drive. But a Thunderbolt case can get you much closer to the SSD's maximum speed, likely around 400MB/sec or more.

8. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

i know that 85 is my maximum speed over firewire 800 nut i have only one thunderbolt port and i need it for second monitor

daisy chain case are too expansive, i found only lacie that comes with disk, same for thunderbolt hub

what i would like to say is even if my firewire is much slower that mac book internal SATA in common use i don't really notice the difference, but i don't use very big files i'm not into graphics, i'm developer so i mostly write