Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
well, i am assuming it will boot slightly faster, but will I really notice a difference while doing day to day tasks?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The 1 Tb ATA drive will be slower to start and read and write files. The slower read/write can cause beachballs while the system has to wait for the read/write to complete. You have to judge how you use the system and if the delays are acceptable.

The 256 Gb Flash storage will be much faster read/write, but it is 1/4 the storage capacity. If you do not have a lot of files to store and will not have many more in the future, then the 256 Gb Flash storage would be a good option. If you do have more storage needs in the future that makes 256 Gb tight then connect an external USB3 drive.

A good compromise is the 1TB Fusion Drive. You would get a 128 Gb Flash storage fused with a 1 Tb ATA drive. You would have the Flash storage for fast OS operations and the spinner for storing larger media files.

The upgrade to 256 Gb Flash or 1TB Fusion storage cost the same.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
The 1 Tb ATA drive will be slower to start and read and write files. The slower read/write can cause beachballs while the system has to wait for the read/write to complete. You have to judge how you use the system and if the delays are acceptable.

The 256 Gb Flash storage will be much faster read/write, but it is 1/4 the storage capacity. If you do not have a lot of files to store and will not have many more in the future, then the 256 Gb Flash storage would be a good option. If you do have more storage needs in the future that makes 256 Gb tight then connect an external USB3 drive.

A good compromise is the 1TB Fusion Drive. You would get a 128 Gb Flash storage fused with a 1 Tb ATA drive. You would have the Flash storage for fast OS operations and the spinner for storing larger media files.

The upgrade to 256 Gb Flash or 1TB Fusion storage cost the same.

And this is something I can't just swap out on my own?

Sorry, very new to Mac computers

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
And this is something I can't just swap out on my own?
Sorry, very new to Mac computers
If you get the option that has an ATA drive already installed (so that there is a connector) then you could replace the ATA drive with a SATA 3 SSD.
You can NOT replace the Apple PCIe-based Flash Storage because it is proprietary and there are no 3rd party manufacturers so the only option is hardware removed from another Mac.
See the below link to get an idea of what it takes and the tools needed to get to the 2014 Mac mini ATA hard drive:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
If you get the option that has an ATA drive already installed (so that there is a connector) then you could replace the ATA drive with a SATA 3 SSD.
You can NOT replace the Apple PCIe-based Flash Storage because it is proprietary and there are no 3rd party manufacturers so the only option is hardware removed from another Mac.
See the below link to get an idea of what it takes and the tools needed to get to the 2014 Mac mini ATA hard drive:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

Hey thanks!

HAHA, that is way more work then I was hoping it would be.

tom29786

macrumors member
I have the mid tier model with the 1 T hard drive and I also have a crucial SSD in a Pluggable usb 3 external and for what I do there is not much difference between them. I mostly surf the net, bank ,write letters, youtube, I do not game. So unless you do something much more demanding there is not much difference. Start time for the HD is amount 40 seconds and with SSD it is about 15 seconds. I only shut down about once a month, so that does not come into play much

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Exactly -which- "mid-tier" Mini do you have?

Is it the "late-2012" version (with 2 SATA drive bays)?

Or is it the "2014" version (with 1 SATA bay and a PCI-e blade drive slot)?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I have the mid tier model with the 1 T hard drive and I also have a crucial SSD in a Pluggable usb 3 external and for what I do there is not much difference between them. I mostly surf the net, bank ,write letters, youtube, I do not game. So unless you do something much more demanding there is not much difference. Start time for the HD is amount 40 seconds and with SSD it is about 15 seconds. I only shut down about once a month, so that does not come into play much

Thank you for your input

very helpful!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Was looking at buying the 2014"

In that case, there are two choices:

1. Buy the "midrange" Mini -and- order the 1tb fusion drive. Or, if you want a larger SSD portion, order a "straight" (non-fused) SSD drive. But I think you'll do fine with the fusion upgrade.

2. Buy the "top level" Mini, which -includes- the 1tb fusion drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.