SSD on optic bay or original Hdd spot? 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. doty macrumors newbie

I did some read up and understand that the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) will only work at the HDD bay area therefore i would say that it will be a better idea to place the SSD on the optic bay since both places are SATA 2 ? Am i right to say? Also is there any other tips for better optimisation the use of SSD with HDD. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

I have a 2009 MBP and used all SSDs with it in the Optibay, since both interfaces are S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II).
    Therefore I conclude, that it will also work with your 2010 MBP, as only the 2011 MBPs got S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III).

3. doty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Any optimisation tips? thanks

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Google on how to combine the two into a DIY fusion drive.

5. doty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, did some readings on the diy fusion drive.. as for performance wise, is it identical to w/o fuse? saw a vid on the comparison with different drives it seems to have a mediocre performance as compared to ssd alone..below is the link of the vid.

On the second vid, the performance is almost on par with the ssd alone. kinda confuse though. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_odnNpv-FQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NqbGEJpN4

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Keep in mind that if you decide to roll your own Fusion drive, you risk loss of data if any of those two drives (SSD or HDD) dies, and you do not have recent backups. So, using a roll your own Fusion drive increases the importance of having Time Machine backing up your data.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Can't disagree with you one bit.

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

FWIW, there are some advantages to keeping the HDD in the HDD spot, that's where Apple has designed for it to be for the best cooling and shock protection. I would leave it there.

I run two SSD's in mine, in RAID 0, and get about 8gbps read speed. Wowza! I do at least daily time machine backups though. RAID 0 is akin to a DIY fusion drive in that if either drive fails, it's all gone. Hard disks fail at a rate of 5% per year, that's not ultra significant, but, it still means that you have a 10% chance of losing your data each year!

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Just bought a MBP 13" Base and upgraded the primary drive to a Monster SSD and just waiting for the OWC Optibay Data Doubler, then I will fuse it with a Seagate Momentus XT 750.

It will give me full Sata III connection with both drives supporting 6GB, also nearly 1 TB of storage. I do backup almost hourly to a Time Machine External disk so I will be interested to see the speed giving that I will have a ton of speed and the boot and apps will run like lightning so will be interesting, just need the OWC optibay to arrive and then away I go.

Anyone try it with an SSD and Momentus Drive yet?

Specs for the Monster 240GB SSD from Newegg is 550 Read and 520 Write, so far I am getting 500 read and like 440 write tested with black magic drive tester