SSD on the High-end 13MBP > Worth it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DonBeNit0, Feb 24, 2011.

1. DonBeNit0 macrumors newbie

How exactly would that impact my everyday work (mostly heavy browsing, twitter, reeder, a lot of keynote and some minecraft)

I know how it would impact my wallet, but I wonder if that would like, make my mac boot faster, and everything everything everyone seems to find amazing in the MBA, but I understand that wouldn't be like it.

And also, if I want to take the optical drive off my MBP 13 :
    > Is it possible ?
    > Will it make it a little lighter ?

Thanks in advance

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Boot faster, yes. Also, more durable and much more responsive to launching applications, opening files, that sort of thing. Obviously, anything processor intensive will take about the same amount of time.

As for the optical drive, OWC sells a bracket that will hold a second hard drive (or hard drive-shaped SSD) where the optical drive is: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/DDAMBS0GB/ (Disclaimer: Verify compatibility with your model before ordering, the guts may have changed slightly with the new MPB models.)

3. DonBeNit0 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot.

I might bother my wallet then.

But is there a point at just taking the optical drive off and don't put anything else instead ?
    Just for the sake of the weight loss ?
    What do you think ?

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you have the extra cash, it's worth it. Either that or just buy from OWC and install it yourself.