SSD / Optibay Partitioning Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlem, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jlem macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I will be getting a 17" mbp i7 soon and its my first transition from windows platform to mac and so I need some advice for partitioning of my sdd/hdd.

1. I will be using a x26m 160GB for the main drive and will partition 100GB for HFS+ and 60GB for NTFS for windows 7 bootcamp. How can I do that? The last time I helped a friend for bootcamp, the max size is 32GB using bootcamp assistant and it appears that the format is FAT32. After we boot into windows 7 set up, I had to reformat the "bootcamp" partition before windows could install. The question is how to make bootcamp assistant format directly NTFS and have a partition size greater than 32GB?

2. I will be installing the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 7200rpm in the optibay slot. Since I would like to use time machine, I have to partition HFS+. However, this disk would also be my data disk and I am wondering if I should leave the whole disk as HFS+, copy in NTFS data from usb hdd. In this case, I would need macdrive to read/write my data drive. But the disadvantage is that when I plug this drive into windows machine (which most of my other computers are), reading/writing it would be impossible without macdrive! Alternatively, I am thinking partition 150GB for time machine HFS+, rest 350GB into NTFS for data drive and use paragon NTFS to read and write. Then in this case this external drive would be more universal since its NTFS.

3. What is the best ratio for time machine? If I partition 100GB for OSX, is 150GB enough? I will also be superdupering my OSX into the 500GB drive and wincloning the bootcamp into the 500GB drive.

Any advices on these?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You can just go into disk utility and make an additional partition of whatever size is available for use with boot camp.

3. jlem thread starter macrumors newbie

But disk utility does not allow ntfs right? u mean I can jus make a 60GB size HFS+, then boot into windows, then using windows tools to reformat into ntfs?

If so, I do not need to use bootcamp assistant? Then in this case, how can I boot into windows with the help of bootcamp assistant?

Please help me with more details because I am coming from a windows side.... thanks...

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

Put in win7 cd/usb
    turn off laptop/restart
    when bootup begins immediately hold onto the option key
    choose the win7 cd/usb
    ???
    profit!

Be sure to partition the drive before of course. Easiest way to go is bootcamp assistant though. It lets you make partions larger than 32 and it will let you know it's going to have issues or something or rather. Just ignore it and do it since you need to reformat again through the windows installer anyways.