SSD optibay possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wickkedd, Jun 1, 2015.

1. wickkedd macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I used to be a mac user back in 2012 and then I went to the world of PC. I am thinking of coming back to Apple with the new macbook pro. However, I wanted to know if it is still possible to get one of those optibays and replace the optical DVD drive with an SSD in the same slot? I remember it was possible with the older Macbook Pros. Thanks!

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

New MBPs have no optical drives so there is no room inside or extra connectors for that matter to connect a second drive up to.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Exactly right.

MacBook Pros have been without optical drives since June 2012.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

If you do end up picking up an older machine to do this with, I would recommend the OWC DataDoubler over the OptiBay - when I bought mine it was about 50% of the cost and has never given me an issue.

Also, make sure you understand the limitations of the SATA buses if you do opt to grab an older machine (they vary significantly between Late 2008- Mid 2012).

5. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for all the help. Now, when it comes to technicals, and if we are looking at the new macbook pros, then does USB3.0 support SSD maximum speeds, or is the maximum USB 3.0 speed slower than the maximum SSD speed? I ask this, because if I were to put my SSD in an enclosure, I was wondering how that would play out. Thanks!

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That depends on which SSD you have. Generally, you should be able to achieve around 450 MB/s with a UASP-enabled USB 3 enclosure. Most current SSDs clock in at a maximum of 500-550 MB/s, so it's not quite there but pretty close.

7. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

USB 3 will do very well with SSD. However, MBP offer Thunderbolt. So if your willing to pay of the price for thunderbolt you will get extreme performance.

8. Jozone macrumors 6502