SSD/ optibay question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxBURT0Nxx, Jan 7, 2012.

1. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey currently installing an ssd in my 15" Mbp and putting the original hdd in the optibay. I have the optibay done, but the ssd I have is way too small to fit in the original had location. I'm assuming I need some type of installation hardware or mounting case, just not sure what it would be called and what I should look for. Also if there is a place I could pick it up locally rather than order online I would do that do I can finish this today!

2. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

how about some more info

what kind of 15" mbp. what kind of ssd. didnt your normal hdd have a case around it?

easy fix before you reply, check youtube. thousands of videos on how to's as far as ssd in the hd slot and hdd in the optibay slot

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

The SSD is too small? Is it not a 2.5"?

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm doing this upgrade soon. Well, as soon as my items come. Switching the drives should be easy as I've read and seen. I've switched out the HDD before and it fit no problem. However, I know it has some sort of screws on its side or something that makes it fit really securely. My upgraded drive didn't have that and I don't think most do. I think that's the loose fit you're referring to. If it is, I think it's okay. SSD has no moving parts and if a HDD can withstand it, a SSD can definitely.

Secondly, the SuperDrive is a larger drive and you have a hard drive caddy for it to fill in the spot so you can securely connect it. You may want to buy an enclosure for you SuperDrive if you want to use it in the future.

It's simple. I bought all my items from Amazon.