Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Betooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Bham, Alabama
Has anyone done it yet? Anything I should be worried about, or anything I need to do before upgrading? Or am I overthinking it lol

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

DCWolfie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Looks like the same size. :) Hope the one i ordered works, if not I might try that one. :)

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Talking about optibay, do any of you have the knowagle if this one fits my MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) (http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/2nd-Hard-Dri...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4aac5a81e6)

Why did you pick that $27 one? The same one can be had for $14 on eBay, however I'd get the Nimitz one for $24, as it screws down to the factory locations and the HDD can be screwed into the adapter. The one you linked to just lays down in the slot so it can bounce around ;)

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Why did you pick that $27 one? The same one can be had for $14 on eBay, however I'd get the Nimitz one for $24, as it screws down to the factory locations and the HDD can be screwed into the adapter. The one you linked to just lays down in the slot so it can bounce around ;)

There's a pretty sizable discussion about this in the optibay thread. The optibay is held in place pretty well by the speaker bar, and there's really no wiggle room.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
There's a pretty sizable discussion about this in the optibay thread. The optibay is held in place pretty well by the speaker bar, and there's really no wiggle room.

I know - I have the $14 one right now. It's just that for $10 more, I'd prefer it to be actually screwed down. There's no reason to pay $26 though for the one that doesn't screw down.

DCWolfie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010

I really don't know anything about this, but if its to loose I'll buy the other one later :/ .....or ducktape it :)

Has anyone done it yet? Anything I should be worried about, or anything I need to do before upgrading? Or am I overthinking it lol
can not see any reason why lion per se should have issues with optibay - will be doing the lion upgrade tomorrow.. will let you know

Talking about optibay, do any of you have the knowagle if this one fits my MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) (http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/2nd-Hard-Dri...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4aac5a81e6)

should be fine.. i would go for the smk312 model.. i have it and it beats the PIA newmodeus caddy i had before it

+1
That looks kinda shady at that price. I got mine direct from MCETech, support was great (I was originally going to put it in my Blackbook, decided it wasn't worth it), and it worked like a charm right off the bat.

ick. in a $2k computer? The MCETech Optibay fully screws in, and it's very solid. If you're gonig to spend $2K on a laptop, get decent hardware to put in it!!! OWC has one too, I think.

Why waste money on a ridiculously overpriced piece of equipment when the ebay hdd caddy + enclosure can be brought for 1/5th of the cost... makes no sense for me. I spent over $3500 on my 17" CTO MBP (uk price £2050) and i rather save my hard earned $$$ for a decent sata-3 ssd.

11 months of the ebay caddy and zero problems,

DCWolfie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Just gonna tell anyone who are wondering. It worked like a charm, it had mounted screw holes and fitter perfectly. No need for ducktape :) It doesn't bounce ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.