SSD/Optibay where to buy, which to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Nov 9, 2012.

1. emir, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi everyone;

I've been using my mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro quite happily for 2.5 years now and i think it's time for a little bit of an update. Fusion drive hack tempts me anyways.

So i'm going to replace my superdrive with an SSD and keep my old 320GB stock HDD and fuse them together with fusion drive. While i am at it, i'll take the SSD to the original Hard drive spot and put old HDD on the optibay since superdrive has sata 1 and hard drive has sata 2 (as far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong)

Price is really important for me and shipping time and prices are also really high for me because i live in Turkey. MCE Technologies's optibay costs 50 bucks + 30 for usb enclosure for old superdrive however i can easily find optibay + usb enclosure on ebay for 25-30 bucks. Considering shipping will cost about 30-40$ and will take 2-3 weeks, that's a huge advantage. What's the difference between those optibays? I am guessing ebay ones are not the same quality obviously but does it matter that much? Which one should i go for?

Also since 2010 macbook pros have sata 2 and not 3 i am thinking of going for a sata 2 ssd. On the Turkish tech stores all they have is sata3 and paying for the newest and latest when i can not use it makes little sense to me. It's 250-300$ for OCZ 240GB Vertex 3 here. Should i go for cheaper online sata 2 ones,which ones, where to find them?

Lastly, can you give me some sites for optibay and ssds that ship internationally? Help would be really appriciated for me to get supply for these.

thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

Cheers;

2. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Haven't really bought one of those $80 dollar optibays but I got one off ebay for about 5 bucks and its working perfectly fine for me. Just make sure to get the 9.5mm not the 12.5mm (I accidentally got the 12.5 mm and had to sand it down lol). I guess just look on ebay :)

4. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Optibay + USB Enclosure for super drive is 78$ here;
    http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...t_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

Same thing without the branding from a known seller on ebay is 30$;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...892&pid=100034&prg=1079&rk=1&sd=110936056025&

I don't know what you mean by get the 9.5mm not 12.5 though. On the cheap one i found on ebay it says i think both? I can't figure out if it's compatible or not.

5. Spikeuk76 macrumors newbie

I got the ebay cheapy version and it fits perfectly. I have had zero issues with it. Ive put an SSD in the main drive bay and original HDD in the optibay mount. It is a fantastic upgrade

6. crispytreat macrumors member

I say go with the cheap option. They are all pretty much the same.

7. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir