SSD: optical bay or HDD bay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StandardMeth0d, Mar 2, 2011.

1. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I've been trying to research this, but couldn't find a sold response so bear with me.

I'm getting a secondary SSD to accompany my HDD. Should I keep the HDD where it is and place the SSD in the optical bay? The SSD is SATAII so I don't think there is an advantage to putting it in the HDD bay.

Are there any sleep/hibernation issues regarding which spot it is in? (I'm using an OWC SSD)

If I choose to put the SSD in the optical bay, will the HDD be stable in the optical bay? I'm planning on using the Apple HDD but I have a WD Scorpio Black that I can use as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. dnlt macrumors newbie

Since the primary has a SATA III Connection.. you would most likely see the significant boost in speeeds putting the ssd there. The optical has a Sata II which wont utilize the ssd full potential.

Edit: Scratch what I said... I didn't read your post thoroughly >.< In that case it probably doesn't matter! I have read that there arent sleep issues if you put the ssd in the optical bay, but I don't know for sure :\

3. Skybar macrumors member

I would do it like this:
    You put the SSD where the HDD is, and then you install OS X with the CD. When that is done, you swap the optical drive with the HDD. Voilá, all done and ready to go!

4. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

If the HDD is stock Apple or doesn't have a built in motion sensor, then you must place it in the hard drive bay or else it will not receive protection from a motion sensing sensor.

Put the OWC in the Optibay and the HDD int he hard drive bay.

5. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

is there something else that you need to do so that the comp will boot from the SSD w/ OS X in the optical bay and not try to boot from a blank HDD in the hard drive bay?

6. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

I believe you have to select the SSD as the start up disk

I am looking to do this within the next couple days as well and was just wondering if it was better to do a clean install or just to clone my existing harddrive over

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

This apparently screws up the "hibernation" function, though.

I am personally going to put the SSD that's currently in transit into the HDD bay, and boot from it, with the 500GB in the optical bay.

I will have both of them backing up to a 1gb time machine, so if somehow the sudden motion thing becomes an issue, and the drive breaks in the optical bay (doubtful), then I can replace it with one that's got sms at that point.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I plan on doing the same but buying a WD Black Scorpio ahead of time to put into my optical bay.

But I have heard mixed reports that the hibernation function screws up even with the SSD in the main bay.

9. StandardMeth0d thread starter macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to go with the SSD in the optical bay. I do have a Scorpio Black however ( ha built in SMS). I just don't want to use that due to noise and power issues that may occur. I have a 7200 rpm drive in my current notebook and it spins pretty noticeably.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Hmm I have read that the 7200 WD Scorpio Black spins nicely and consumes the same amount of power as the 5400 model.

Just wondering, what is the model of that drive, capacity, and where did you buy it? I'm looking for a drive with a free fall sensor to put in my optibay.

If you are going to put the HDD with a motion sensor in the HDD bay, then you must disable Apple's built in SMS sensor.

11. StandardMeth0d thread starter macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I got the 320gb from Newegg. I've been using it with my 08 macbok without disabling the apple SMS and it's been fine. Are you sure you NEED to disable Apple's SMS?

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I've read reports by people such as yourself who have gone by without needing to but I have read elsewhere that you do or else you get kernel panics. I remember reading somewhere on Apple to get drives without motion sensors within them but I don't remember.