SSD options in the next Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Halamolo, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Halamolo macrumors regular

I would really like to have SSD for OS hard drive and also another for audio mixing. The HDDs are so slow, it´s starting to bug me.

What do you think, will Apple include SSD options for the next Mac Pro?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's possible but I would venture it'd be their **** SSD that they offer now.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Unless they offer something with FusionIO. Doesn't Woz work for them now?

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Obviously we don't need Apple to offer SSD options to use SSD's. Besides even if they did or do offer SSD's they will be at rediculous mark-ups, encouraging any sensible person to buy it elsewhere.

What would be nice is for Apple to offer a Mac Pro without a drive so if you want to run SSD's you're not stuck paying for a mechanical HD you have no use for.

5. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

This would be nice, but I don´t want any hassles. I´d like to get SSDs directly from Apple, so when I get the Mac Pro I´m good to go.

Hopefully they offer good SSD option. I don´t want crappy SSDs brands. Want the best!

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I highly doubt they will offer the "best". Just look at the SSDs in their Macbook line.

And even if they did start offering Intel SSDs for example, what exactly is the difference between getting it directly from Apple, as opposed to somewhere else, besides the obvious and ludicrous mark up prices by Apple? :confused:

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Woz is involved.

But last I checked, they've not gotten it to function on Macs yet.

I don't see Apple selling a system without the OS pre-loaded, which means a drive of some sort. So to save money, get the base HDD, and add in whatever desired 3rd party (assuming individual/small pro shops that have to be budget concious).

The enterprise market would be more willing to pay the markups to get a single point of contact in the event of a problem. This market doesn't seem to be the market area the majority of forum members belong to though (from what I can tell at any rate).

8. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Would be nice to have an extra 2.5" bay in there somewhere.

9. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

Well I can order the Mac Pro from Apple Store and it is delivered straight to my home and I can push the power button and go straight to work. No hassle.

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

An SSD doesn't need cooling like a hard drive. There is ample room to put an SSD somewhere like they have done in the the Xserve for years.