SSD Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannster, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dannster macrumors regular

dannster

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Intel is the best. Everyone "in the know" will agree. If I had to sum it up in a sentence: Speed on random writes and reads are what you look for for the most part.

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Intel seems to be the top dog on SSD drives. Thing is though it's still not available for sale yet..

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

im running the inte x25 80gb and will be buying a 160gb g2 soon as newegg restocks them.

the random reads and writes make the drive the top dog.

you fill them up...they dont slow down...like the vertex's do.

and yes i know about the new vertex firmware with the "garbage collector" but we will see how that works out.

i would only recommend the intel.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've read that the G2's will slow down as they get full and well used. Not so much the G1's. G'2's can use trim, G1's can't but have more efficient garbage collection.

G1's are still a very good buy at Newegg for $450. Buy.com is selling them for $700. Every day I get closer to pulling the trigger on a G1 for $450.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yea, im eyeing the 160gb g1 on newegg for 488 cad...i may do the deal next week.

i wouldent think the g2 would have slowdown issues like the g1 did at the start, would be a step back.

9. emt1 macrumors 65816

Don't waste your money on anything other than an Intel.

10. antskip macrumors regular

The latest Intels SSD's will be excellent as well as at an OK price. However, there are many other SSD's available, and in use, that are also both excellent and affordable. Some perform even faster in some operations than the Intel. Some come in sizes not offered by Intel; some are a better price for the size. Most are so much better in every way (apart from size and price) better than the best HDD's. There is no one way to go in SSD's, any more than in choice of HDD's, computers, OS's, etc etc... If you can afford an SSD, it is very unlikely for your new SSD be a waste of your money. IMHO, there is no upgrade worth more for your dollar than an SSD, whatever manufacturer you choose.:)

11. pnyc macrumors 6502

The slow downs happen on both Intels G1/G2 as well as the Vertex. I'm running the newest Vertex firmware with the garbage collection and it restores the drive to around 90% of the original performance.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

umm your wrong

my intel has never slowed down yet...and its packed full in use for 2 months now. and would blow the vertex away :p

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial SSDs doesn't work well with Macs. I recommend Intel or OCZ

14. GT500Shlby macrumors member

GT500Shlby

I have the Intel X25-M 160Gb drive in my Mac Mini and I have another one I am putting in my new 17" MBP. I could of swore I read something that Intel was going to make a 320GB SSD for ~$800 and that was back in June.

But the Intel SSD's are insane. The computer boots so fast and the battery lasts a lot longer. I had the one 160GB in my 4yr old 17" MBP an it basically breathed new life into it. I can't wait to see how this bad boy runs on a 3.06Ghz MBP!

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...where'd you find that info?

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i found it out when i tried the POS

they say its great and compatible....i bought a 256gb crucial and it sucks....never worked good....constant problems...sleeping , loading the os , corruption ect.

17. Z06jerry macrumors regular

18. pnyc macrumors 6502

Umm I'm not wrong both SSD's Intel as well as Vertex do slow down after extensive use, I didn't say that you can actually perceive the slowdowns in your day to day usage but it does happen. Additionally thru the latest firmwares both drives are able to recover most of their original performance.

As to Intel blowing away the Vertex, uh I had the opportunity to see both drives in action via side-by-side comparison and found it next to impossible to perceive any significant difference between the two during boot, application startup times, photoshop work.

19. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

im not saying your wrong because i think your wrong...im saying your wrong because i have benchmarked them BOTH with extensive benchmarks and There is no difference after the intel has been full.

20. thePhilster macrumors newbie

Couple of questions:

* I assume the SSD Apple supply isn't Intel? Is it any good?
    * Does replacing the stock HD for a MBP with a SSD of your own choice invalidate the warranty in any way?

21. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I think the SSDs Apple uses are Samsung. They don't use the newer Intels yet.

22. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

FWIW, as an owner of both an Intel and Vertex drive - I love 'em both. I'd think it come down to what size you want (and availability of the Intel might be an issue - haven't been shopping for another). I have a small (30GB) Vertex in the optical bay of my brand new MBP and it's fast and awesome and has no issues. It's the Mac one, not that I really think it makes a tremendous version.

The Intel in my Mac Pro is also terrific and having run 'em side by side and done many comparisons, I rate the Intel a hair quicker in real life performance, but only a stop-watch-loving geek would really notice the difference.

I have 10GB left on the Vertex and 20GB on the Intel, OS and apps, so I haven't tested 'em 'full' but after more than a month with 'em, no complaints about the vertex.

23. mac jones macrumors 68040

I also have both. No issues with either and they are pretty much the same . I've been using these for a while also.

I must admit I would not want to go back to ratational drives. But I imagine they are livable in a pinch :D

24. kasakka macrumors 68000

What I don't like about the Indilinx controller drives like the OCZ Vertex is that they basically use the users as testers for new firmware. On something as critical as a drive containing all your data, I'd rather have the company test it thorougly before releasing new firmware.

That's why I've got an Intel X25-M G2 on order, I expect it will have less possible pitfalls and compatibility problems.

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

Sure, maybe. I've had no issues with the OCZ yet the X25 I originally bought (I have ver2 now) would not run bootcamp and eventually died on me.

But then again Intel is great with replacements :D