SSD or 2.3Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yourdensity, Feb 24, 2011.

1. yourdensity macrumors newbie

Ok fellas,

Im going to be picking up a new MBP 15" this weekend

I am a designer who uses the whole adobe suite ( heavily and at the same time) and rendering programs (modo and other ray tracers) and move around ALOT with my computer ( in a bag everyday)

I dont care about gaming at all

SO... should I go with the 2.3GHz with the 500GB hard drive or the 2.2 with the 256GB SSD?

what will be the real world differences I will see?.... Will I miss that 2.3 and $250 if I go with the SSD?

2. keithano macrumors member

According to cpubenchmarks.com, the difference is minimal, or cannot justify the price for upgrade. I am a photographer who heavily use lightroom and photoshop, you should be getting a much higher performance upgrade with the SSD option.

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

If you're wanting real world differences, go SSD. Money well spent compared to the .1GHz you won't even notice.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

5. yourdensity thread starter macrumors newbie

It weird I am confused as to why this was even made an option if it is such a weak performance upgrade...even the 8MB cashe would not be a seller ( I have no clue what that means haha)

6. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Absolutely the SSD if your choice is SSD vs negligible processor speed difference. For most people the perceived performance difference between HDD > SSD will be like night and day. The perceived performance difference between 2.3GHz and 2.2GHz processor will be nil.

7. Jaimi macrumors regular

Your choice - 5% gain, or 500% gain in speed.

The only real question you should ask is - will you miss the extra space? If not, this is a no-brainer.

8. yourdensity thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I will miss the space...but thats what external drives are for right? Just need to store my junk and pron off site