ssd or 7200 rpm harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sosaysiburke, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

im wanting to upgrade the harddrive on my new macbook but i cant really decide ssd speeds look amazing but there are so many people saying the lifespan is so short . anyone have any advice as to which one would be better?

2. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

That depends, if you need a lot of space get the 7200. If space is not a concern go for a SSD - like I did.

I don't have any numbers on lifespan, but I don't think that this is something to really worry about that much, at least I don't worry about that. :)

3. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

The short lifespan is somewhat of a myth now. It may have been a problem initially, however, SSD technology has come a long way in a short time. Also, most quality SSD's have more than their stated capacity to make up for dead cells, and they automatically space stuff around the drive to prolong lifespan.

Look at the write cycles on most SSD's available these days, and if you do the math, you'll see that the drives will generally last 5+ years even if you wrote to the drive constantly 24 hours a day.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you do decide to get an SSD, I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap one. If you're gonna do it, do it right with the sweet Intel models. If you can't stomach the price-tag, get a 7200 rpm HDD. You won't be disappointed with a scorpio black or seagate 7200.4, but you very well could be disappointed with your SSD because of the high price you'll have to pay for it.

5. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Even though on paper HDDs have longer life than SSDs, I came across too many HDDs failing within 2-3 years. The worst part is, not $, but data loss. However, when SSD fail, it will lose the ability to write, but you can still read and transfer data to new drive. That to me alone, is worth the extra $, in additional to the zero vibration, zero sound, less weight, less heat...

6. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

In my mind you need to prioritize

If you have good network storage, then go with SSD. If you're going to store your files locally, go with HDD.

I compared a 7200.4 and an Intel X25-M. 2 ends of the spectrum (X25-E is just too low GB IMO).

I do not store my music or files on my machine. I strictly run apps from this machine. In the end I chose the Intel solution based on my usage model.

7. sosaysiburke thread starter macrumors member

sosaysiburke

seems like the ssd is the best bet and i have some network space not to mention i was thinking of just using the current drive in my macbook as a usb drive with one of those cheap little conversion things

8. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

If you want a massive performance increase get the SSD. If you want a faster HD at an affordable cost get the 7200rpm harddrive.

9. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I've read somewhere that SSD loses its efficiency over time. You will see a drop between 5-30% in performance after 3 months of usage. It was also stated in the same article/review that the WD Scorpio (7200) is the fastest drive that can compete with the SSDs.

10. sosaysiburke thread starter macrumors member

sosaysiburke

im a big fan of wd ive had 2 120 gigs from them for like 9 years? still running strong but some of the reviews on those speeds of ssd just seems to be the way to go

11. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

What you saw was a report on if you pound the hell out of these drives, they need to be reformatted.

It has to do with fragmentation (and I'm too lazy to google it right now). That being said, this Intel is a nice cheap way to get some mach speed out of your machine.

If money is no object, just pick up an X25-E 64GB. SLC doesn't have this issue and the write speed is obscene on this drive.