SSD or Logic Board

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tey112, Apr 14, 2015.

1. tey112 macrumors member

I have a 2012 MBA 13" that had one of the affect SSDs that died. I replaced it with an OWC drive and thought I would live happily ever after, but...

~4 weeks ago: The computer started freezing and I was getting some disk errors on Filevault. It looked like a SSD failure again, but AHT would freeze and never complete either the basic or extended.

~3 weeks ago: I replaced the SSD, attempted to turn on Filevault and the same problem happened (intermittent freezing computer). It stopped encrypting around 60% so I just re-installed and left filevault off.

~1 week ago: The computer started intermittently freezing again and in console I see "disk0s2 i/o error" every couple of seconds. I plugged in time machine to quickly backup the drive, but it had an error as well. I attempted to run AHT both basic and extended again, but neither would complete even after running for >15 hours. The extended stopped near the end and doesn't list the current item that it is testing. Image

So, what do you think it is? Logic Board, another dead SSD, or...?

Thanks!

2. jackperez, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015

jackperez macrumors newbie

tey112, I’ve heard of such issues with OWC but your one got old so quickly that it’s making me point towards the logic board. I’d like to know how confidant you are about your logic board, from the ICs on it to issues like grounding and noise on the board. I know signal noise is a long shot in this case but we can’t ignore grounding issues which create high voltage spikes for some components.

circuit board manufacturing

3. tey112 thread starter macrumors member

OWC ended up swapping out this drive for me. So on OWC drive #3 it appears to be holding up - fingers crossed - and I haven't seen any disk IO errors in the console over the last couple of days.