SSD or new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbobmccoy, Jan 23, 2011.

  1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So I've got a little bit of money to invest in some tech, and I want to upgrade my computer. I've got a mid-2009 MBP and still like it, it does most of what I need without complaining. The question I have is should I sell it and upgrade to the next MBP when it comes out, or get an SSD to replace it's 500GB HDD (which I can turn into an external easily). What will provide me with a faster day-to-day computing, file transfering, some light video editing, etc?

    Thanks! :D
  2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 21, 2010
    Athens, Greece
    well, if you buy an ssd for your 2009 mbp it will work pretty fast, no need for the new generation. wait for the next ones :)
  3. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    SSD, like the OCZ Vertex II or any other Sandforce SSD.
  4. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    In the same boat - Mid 09 Macbook Pro 13, 2.26Ghz / 4Gb / Upgraded 500Gb HDD.

    Current thinking: Upgrade to a ~120Gb SSD + MCE optibay or similar + 8Gb RAM.

    Would be able to use both if I got a new MBP, or just the SSD if I went MacPro which is not altogether unlikely.

    Debating which to do first, though probably worth doing both at the same time.

    Going to have to reinstall OSX which will be a major pain, can't be helped though - something is screwed with Quicktime and I can't even play video with it. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the RAM in there regardless, though we'll see.
  5. Avenger macrumors 6502a

    Sep 20, 2007
    This is the same question I had in my mind also. My main complaint is application loading times and delays. I went to the Apple Store the other day and tried out one of those 2.66 GHZ i7 Macbook Pros. I didn't see a significant speed difference in loading and using applications like iPhoto and Aperature on the new Macbook Pro versus my current one. This is why I am leaning towards an SSD instead of upgrading to a new model. I have the late 2008 unibody 2.4 GHZ Macbook Pro. I'm sure the i7 is much faster in things like video encoding but I don't do that much in my macbook.

    I've been reading good things about the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD. The only caveats is the sleep issue (common with Sandforce based SSD's) and it seems that some people may be having an issue with the latest firmware. I also don't like that there isn't a Mac SSD firmware update tool for any of these SSDs. I will have to think abt it for a while. I recently bought a Crucial C300 128GB for my PC and it really is blazing fast and was plug and play to set up. I would stay with that brand but it works best with an OS which supports TRIM (which Windows 7 does but Mac OS X doesn't).
  6. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
  7. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
    Not sure if you're saying that there are no SSDs with firmware tools for OSX?
    X25's have an OSX upgrade tool ..
  8. Yakob macrumors member

    Mar 13, 2010
    Go SSD! you'll see the most improvement.

    I installed a "cheap" Kingston ssdnow 64 9 months ago and it was night and day and still has zero signs of slowing, admittedly it doesn't get written on much because it's my OS/app drive in my macbook pro.

    Size wise I've used 40gb of my 64gb drive with:
    Snow leopard
    Adobe CS5 design premium (PS,ID,AI,DW,FL,FC,FW, and acrobat)
    Adobe Lightroom 3
    Autodesk Maya
    Sketchbook pro
    iWork 09
    Office 2011
    and various other random stuff

    BTW was just looking on newegg and the crucial c300 64gb is only $129 nowadays! :eek:
  9. Avenger macrumors 6502a

    Sep 20, 2007
    That's good to know. I thought all the SSD makers were negligent in that area. Kudos for Intel.
  10. fibrizo macrumors 6502


    Jan 23, 2009
    Definitely SSD.

    SSD makes my 1.6ghz macbook air feel much faster than my 2.4ghz 2010 13 inch mbp
  11. Mikey7c8, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

    Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Supposedly, so long as the SSD is installed in the main drive bay there is less of a chance that the sleep issue will rear itself. I'm thinking of getting one of the Corsair F120 and have someone flash it for me. It's on NewEgg for ~$240 and a retailer here is selling them for 250 (presumably pre tax) though I'm thinking I'll get them to flash it for me.

    FWIW - I'd be stoked if I could get the same performance as the above.

    Intel G3's are due in Feb so it may well be worth waiting for them. Next gen Corsair drives will drop Feb-March, and SF-2500(i think) based drives in May. Don't think I can wait that long, but another month might be ok.
  12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816


    Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    Good to hear that, I just bought the same one a few days ago from NCIX on sale for 99$ CAD and I am just waiting till I get home to start backing up my data to reinstall the OS onto my SSD :cool:

    Any recommendations Yakob?
  13. NickZac macrumors 68000


    Dec 11, 2010
    A SSD will bring faster load and process times for many of the applications the standard user utilizes and so you will physically 'notice' more speed with a SSD. Get a good SSD with SATA3 capability and go bigger than you need now, as you could probably use a SSD for a looooong time (many have 10 year warranties).

    I have a mid/late 13 myself. If you get another current 13, you will buy essentially the same computer with a slightly different GPU design. Go SSD all the way!
  14. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
    Yeah, it's a welcome move by Intel ..
    I think there must be some others that also have Mac tools, like OWC SSDs but i'm not familiar with them.
  15. kasakka macrumors 68020

    Oct 25, 2008
    I don't think I'll ever have a laptop without a SSD drive. I've got a mid-2009 MBP and the Intel X25-M G2 160 Gb drive in it and it has performed really well and without problems. The main difference is that you never have to wait for a program to open, don't have any noise etc so you don't even notice the existence of the drive.

    I'd still wait though, the next gen Intels are right around the corner and should provide twice the space for the same money.
  16. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

    Aug 10, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    what is a "good enough" size SSD for just OS and apps? im a DJ and Photographer so my laptop is what i mainly use for work. Id like to have a 2nd hdd in the optibay so i dont have to lug another external with me for music videos/mp3s when DJing.

    i also keep reading mix reviews when installing the SSD into the optibay, it will cause problem or having the HDD in the optibay will get beach balling or crashing. which is the best way?

  17. fantismo macrumors newbie

    Sep 12, 2009
    SSD best thing I've ever done

    im using a MBP 4.1 - its just turned lightning fast with a crucial C300 - ive heard good things about a sandforce drive.. but the crucial is 256 and awesome.. waiting for the new MBP now!
  18. bleepjay macrumors member

    Jul 28, 2008
    Don't mean to steal thread, but have you been able to run Bootcamp with the C300 on the MBP 4.1? I've tried but I can never get it to boot with Windows DVD/CD.
  19. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    Ive been considering an SSD upgrade myself, but I hear this a lot on the forums. Does anyone have a better time frame of when the new ones can actually be bought with money?
  20. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
    My os and apps span approx 23GB. I'd say a 40GB would be enough for OS and apps ..

    I'm using 2 ssd's, one in an optibay and the other in the standard drive slot, used to use 1 ssd in the optibay and a hdd in the standard drive slot. no problems with either config. ps if you use a hdd and ssd make sure the ssd is in the optibay and the hdd in the standard drive slot (standard drive slot is motion sensor equipped).

    though perhaps bare in mind what happened to me, which is probably by no means unusual:- bought an ssd for the os, saw how fast it is, tried to sneak a few more things onto the ssd, for speed of course, realised i was filling it up, wished i'd just bought a bigger ssd in the first place, bought another, and put them into raid. might have been smarter just to buy a big ssd in the first place.

    although, saying that, 2 ssd's in raid is stupidly fast .. like you would not believe.
  21. johnnj macrumors 6502a

    Dec 11, 2008
    Not here
    I'm kind of in the same situation myself. I have a March '09 15" w/ 2.66GHz.

    I've been running it for almost as long as I've had it with a pair of Vertex 120 gb drives in RAID 0. The machine still feels fast and there isn't really anything wrong with it. I'm starting to run low on storage, though. I like the new i7 MBP with the high res display option and I'm sure the better CPU would make my Lightroom import preview renderings a bit faster, which is the hardest I hit this machine with anything.

    My quandary is that I can either go for the new machine and put my old SSDs into it and just be careful with disk usage or keep my current machine and get a pair of 240 gb drives. Unfortunately I can't afford both and there's no way I'd go back to a regular magnetic drive.


  22. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
    New ssd's from intel are meant to be around the corner, and supposedly at lower price points to remain competitive.

    Also, new mbps are round the corner.

    if you can hold out for 2 months the price of ssds will likely drop, and there'll be new mps .. you might be able to afford both then.
  23. johnnj macrumors 6502a

    Dec 11, 2008
    Not here
    Thanks. Yeah, i can definitely hold out 2 months or even more. I would love to get some Intel SSD into my machine, but aside from cost, they're not big enough. If they came out with a 240/256 that was $500 I think I'd definitely hop on it. Don't think that'll happen in the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

    I'm fairly certain that if I go with a pair of Vertex2 240GB drives that they'll work with my current machine, but as you mentioned new ones are around the corner and eventually I will want to catch up and transfer those drives over.

    Have the more recent MBPs still had the finickiness with SSDs like the ones when they first switched over to the one piece bottom panel and the flat battery?

  24. noire anqa macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2010
    new intels will come in 80/160/300/600GB capacities, buzz seems to indicate a feb arrival, but its conjecture at this point .. all we really know is they're on their way .. and apparently, or assumed to be, at much more competitive price points: which is what i'm really waiting for, sandforce 2000 will be greater performance but drives utilising it won't be here for some time ..

    i'm in the same boat as you really, im looking to hop off this late '10 mbp for the new 13", wanna move off C2D before i settle on a machine for 3 years ..
    loaded with 2x300GB ssd's of course .. only way i can do both is if someone drops their prices, and it sure as hell isn't gonna be apple ..

    what finickiness are you referring to?
  25. hsl macrumors regular

    Dec 15, 2006
    Don't forget to look at the crucial realssd's I have one in my late 2008 MBP too,..

Share This Page