ssd - owc or ocz

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kunia, Nov 11, 2010.

1. kunia macrumors regular

I'm thinking of getting one in the near future. But I'm torn between OWC and OCZ. I bought lots of stuff from OWC over the years - recently, 24gb of ram for my new mac pro last week - it's my brand of choice. But I kind of blew my budget on the RAM.
    I'm looking at their 240gb pro ssd for 539 US, and since I live in Canada factoring in shipping and taxes, the whole shipment would end up closer to 600$ Canadian.
    I can go to my local computer store and pick up one of the OCZ vertex 2 drivers for about 500 with taxes.

What do you guys think? Here's the link:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/inde...sort=3a&page=2&sid=i7tvb3p09ikthvv96t745vdib3

Second...what's the difference between vertex 2 Extended and vertex 2 SATA? I'm planning to mount it in the optical bay. Do I need a bracket, or can I just "leave" it there?

adrian

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would just get the OCZ as it's cheaper. They are basically equal so no reason to spend extra.

I don't know the technical difference between Extended and normal Vertex 2 but Extended seem to have some abnormal capacities. I guess it's just different capacity, performance should be the same.

3. kunia thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna go for the OCZ 240gb vertex 2 extended...gonna pick one up today, see how that goes.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm really happy with my Vertex 2.

I think OWC has a longer warranty, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference. Also these things will be obsolete soon due to plummeting prices and rapid improvements in SSDs.

5. kunia thread starter macrumors regular

it'll go into one of my macbooks once that happens:)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They both come with 3-year warranty. The OWC Pro RE comes with 5-year warranty but it's even more expensive

7. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

The Extended SSD's reserve some of the space for wear protection, so are 240Gb instead of 256Gb or 120Gb instead of 128Gb etc.

Same performance but in theory the Extended should last longer.

As it's a 2.5" SATA then would just place in the Optical Bay, it's not as if you are lugging the mac pro tower around is it.

8. barmann macrumors 6502

Actually that's wrong, I'm afraid.

The extended models have more drive space , but less space for overprovisioning (approx 13% vs. 27%), which is the part of the drive that does most of the wear leveling etc. .

9. kunia thread starter macrumors regular

so i got the ocz vertex 2 extended 240gb, installed it in the lower optical bay with supplied bracket and some cheap 5.25" brackets (they had nothing better).

I pretty much reinstalled everything i had on the original drive, and since it's a new mac there wasn't that much stuff on it.

But I did all those installs much, much quicker, including fresh os.
    boot time, shutdown time, sleep time and app load/install times just blew me away! It feels lightyears ahead of the stock hd...really impressed:)

what a boost...worth every penny.

adrian