SSD Painfully Slow in Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sober2ndthought, Jan 22, 2015.

1. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

sober2ndthought

So I am having a very odd issue with my SSD in my Macbook Pro 13 from 2011.

Essentially here is the issue in a nutshell. I installed a Crucial MX100 SSD in my Macbook Pro about 6 months ago. The drive has worked really well for the last 6 months.

Yesterday, I turned on my computer and it was taking forever just to start up OSX (Yosemite). I think it took almost 45 minutes to start up OSX.

I figured the issue was software related, and I wanted to delete some software off the computer too. So I decided to do a clean install of OSX. When I went into Recovery, I noticed that was slow too, so instead I decided to run it through Internet Recovery.

When I went into Internet Recovery, it worked fine until I went into disk utilities. There I noticed the same issue again. When I loaded disk utility, the Apple logo (in disk utility) was almost immediately replaced by a Grey Box and it took forever to load.

It was fine clearing everything but if I tried to adjust the partition settings, same issue once again. But once I deleted and recreated the partition it was fine for a bit. Then I tried installing OSX onto the drive, first it wouldn't even pick up the drive. Then I rebooted the machine and it picked up but when it tried to install OSX it said it would take about 1350 - 1440 Hours to install. So I canceled the setup.

So now I figured the drive was failing or I had a Hardware issue with the Mac. To rule out issues with the Mac, I put the old 5400 RPM Toshiba OEM Drive back in. It worked fine, I was certain now it was a problem with the drive.

I put the drive into my Desktop PC and my it worked with the drive fine. In fact, I took it a step further and installed Windows onto the drive and the drive worked great. No slow down no nothing.

I did SMART tests, I zeroed out the drive, I even did a "Garbage Cleanup" of the drive and nothing seemed to help. Every time I put it back into the Macbook I ran into the same issues. But in my PC no issues at all.

I have warranty on the drive, but if the drive works fine in PCs I doubt the company I bought it from will replace it.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

2. MarvinHC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

If the drive works fine in another machine, I would suspect a faulty HDD cable in your Macbook. They are know to be troublesome.

3. DeltaMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree - -
    Try replacing the SATA cable in your MBPro.

4. Intell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Intell

I concur with the two above posters, replace the SATA cable.

5. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

sober2ndthought

I am going to add a new development to this, I put the SSD back in but didn't bother removing Windows. It works fine now. As it booted into Windows no problem, no slow downs no nothing.

It only OSX which is giving me headaches. I want to run OSX on this, I don't want to run Windows it. I am left very confused.

That makes me doubt any SATA cable issue now.

6. Intell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Intell

Failing SATA cables can do very odd things. Try reinstalling OS X.

7. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

I am giving that a try right now, I am also going to try to make a USB of Mavericks see if that helps.

----------

Update

Similar issues, but I am going to try to force an install of OSX using the internet recovery system. I might try Mavericks next.

Question, if it is a failing SATA cable would it still be able to run my 5200 RPM HD without a problem?

8. plastictoy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Try Mavericks. Didn't Yosemite clamp down hard on third party drives? Could be related to that since Windows loads fine and your old drive works, thereby eliminating most physical or drive issues.

9. Intell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Intell

10.10 will still run correctly on third party drives. A SSD may stress a failing SATA cable more than a HDD causing there to be read/write errors resulting in slow downs.

10. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

That's why I am going to try Mavericks. I read that somewhere, but I thought it only effected Retina Macbooks Pros and Macbook Airs. This is just the regular Macbook Pro.

That makes sense, until you consider it works fine with Windows. No issues. That's what is really bothering me. I would imagine the issue would be more uniform then. Unless the issue is displaying itself with Partition Tables.

11. Intell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Intell

As stated, a failing SATA cable does very strange things. They are a common failure point in that model Macbook.

12. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

Fair enough, I just want to rule out everything before I make a trip to the Genius. Better to go fully informed I find with the ones here, otherwise they tend to blame the end user. When they see a third party SSD you know exactly how they are gonna blame.

13. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

So no luck with Mavericks, couldn't even get the USB to read long enough to launch. I will be going to the Genius tomorrow, let you know soon enough.

14. sober2ndthought, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

Looks like the issue was Yosemite.

I ended up trying Lion (default OS on my system), and it works fine now. Almost Instant on and Instant off. Was able to install in about 4 hours (including download time).

Now I no longer have random slow downs and in fact the SSD is working much faster than before.

I may try upgrading to Mavericks later. Once I can figure out how to create a bootable USB stick or find an alternative way to upgrade. But for now I am happy that it works.

I am still going to have Apple Store look at the SATA Cable.

Thank you for your help everyone.

15. bizzle
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Use SMART Utility to check for CRC errors on any drives you've used in that machine. If you have any, the cable is bad. If you do end up replacing it, make sure the cable is perfectly clean, no crud on it and cover the cable from the hard drive bracket up until 90 turn on the cable with tape, holding it down to the optical drive. The issue with the cable is usually from the bottom case rubbing on the cable and covering it with tape prevents it from happening. The stupid foam strip Apple was putting on the bracket to stop the bottom case from touching the cable DOES NOT work long term because it eventually just flattens.

16. technosix
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

This is sage advice.

I had the same model, in all my years of computing I have never had a single component display so many misleading symptoms as a failing SATA cable. Nor was I aware at the time that's it's the weak link.

You're installation suggestions and cautions are invaluable. Had I not been experienced in computer repairs I might not have spent the time to be extra cautious as well as insulating and carefully routing the new cable.

Once that repair was completed I was treated to terrific performance, just as it should be. :)

17. Command
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Command

Bootable USB installer for Mavericks
    I've done this - works perfectly.
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

18. johnnnw
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I just had a similar problem and replacing the internal hdd cable fixed it

19. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

I took it to the Apple Store, they got a few errors when they ran the SMART Utility. I already ran Crucial own utility and noticed no errors on my PC and I mentioned that to the Genius.

He figures the issue is the cable and as a precaution they are replacing the cable. He thinks it might also be the Logic Board. They are also going to stress test the Logic Board and make sure that's not the source of the problems. Plus they are going to clean out the system.

The Genius also told me to avoid Yosemite on a third-party SSD and suggested I stick to Mavericks or Mountain Lion.

20. Intell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Intell

There is no reason to avoid using 10.10 on a third party SSD.

21. sober2ndthought
    Expand Collapse

sober2ndthought

The problem returned while the Apple Store had it in 10.8 and the SATA Cable gave them a few errors. So looks like you were right it was the SATA Cable.

The only reason they told me to avoid using 10.10 was TRIM support was very bad in 10.10. Either way, I am actually happier with 10.8 because it seems to be working better in 10.8 than it did in 10.10.

Thanks Intell for your help :)