Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I've got a late 2006 MBP (Merom) and don't want to give it up because I hacked in a higher res screen - but do want to take advantage of SSDs -

So my question is, is there a noticeable difference in SSD perf (say an Intel X25-M) on this slightly dated MBP compared to the latest?

I'm not even sure what SATA version is used on my MBP compared to the newer models, and if the Intel SSD bumps up to that ceiling.

Thanks in advance for any answers...

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
hmm - I think that article was discussing controllers in the ssd's themselves, and not the machines used to run them...

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
hmm - I think that article was discussing controllers in the ssd's themselves, and not the machines used to run them...

Even with an old SATA I interface you won't be limited by the bandwidth with a SSD.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Even with an old SATA I interface you won't be limited by the bandwidth with a SSD.

If I look at XBench data for some tests - it looks like older models aren't able to get uncached reads running as fast as Intel says they are.

On the other hand, the new Unibody (MBPs and MBs) seem to be able to hit that limit.

I'm just wondering if drives like Intel's X25-M are better suited for the new Unibodies...

Can anyone comment? I could be a big help in my drive to get a new laptop :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.