SSD performance gains in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CarlisleUnited, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

People are talking about the increased ZFS support in Snow Leopard and how this is great news for SSD's but so far I have not been able to find any figures as to what kind of performance increase we are likely to see. Does anybody have any idea yet? Maybe through using Solaris or something. Also heard that it will not be possible to boot of a ZFS under OS X, is this true? If so, is there really much point in including it in Snow Leopard?

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

For now, ZFS generally brings slight speed improvements to all hard drives. But since ZFS is very modern and constantly being improved and since SSD is the thing right now, I'm sure Sun is focusing on implementing specific improvements.

I don't have any numbers either, but don't be too optimistic. While a file system improvement may have a large effect in specific corporate applications where very specific storage operations are being performed, it shouldn't be that visible in everyday computing. Your drive has a hardware limit on the read/write speed and access time it is able to achieve and you can't significantly change that with software.