SSD performance of 128gb drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chris04, Dec 4, 2014.

1. chris04 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just purchased my first ever macbook pro (13" retina 128gb 2014 model)

It was a bit of a hasty decision to buy a refurb. I have been reading around the forums and have seen a lot of talk that the 128 GB drive is quite slow compared to the 256 drives or higher.

I would just like to get some feedback really from other users of the base 2014 model and also users of the 256 model. I have lived with 120gb drives or smaller for a long time so I do not necessarily need the extra space but my main concerns are that I don't intend on purchasing a new macbook for a long time (4 plus years hopefully).

Is there a noticeable difference in performance?
    Is it just benchmarks and not something that you would really notice?

I paid £849, there is a 256 GB 2013 model for £929 or the 256 2014 model for £1019.would the extra 80 or 170 be worth it.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly this.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep more a benchmark thing

It does depend on your usage of course, but in everyday general computing you won't notice at all.

4. chris04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

It will be used for general browsing, streaming live TV, movies etc. I have a work laptop for any large software I would require.

Am I right in thinking that the general performance is similar across all the drives but the larger drives will just allow quicker copying of files.

Thanks.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep thats about the extent of it read speeds are fairly consistent accross the range it's the write speeds that take a hit.

I'm sure it'll be fantastic for those uses..