SSD Performing Much Slower Than Expected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bricehulse, May 21, 2013.

1. bricehulse macrumors newbie

I just installed a 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro in my late 2007 15-inch MacBook Pro, and it is performing much slower than other people have experienced. In a Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, I get 127.6MB/135.2MB, but most people get well over 200MB/400MB. For instance, below are my results compared to someone else's with the same drive. Does anyone have any idea why it is so slow?

My results
    Someone else's results

2. simsaladimbamba

Your MBP is limited by the S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interface, thus those speeds are correct. The speeds you have linked to from someone's Mac are due to the MBP having an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) interface, which is only available in 2011 and 2012 Macs.

3. bricehulse thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, okay. Thank you.

4. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

I recently put a 840 250gb Samsung in my 2012 15inch MBP. I am happy with the speed, but of course I wish I had more storage.

My question to you is, given the limitations of your older laptop, are you pleased with your purchase? I understand if you are not, but it is still faster than a HDD to my thinking.

Just curious, let me know if you like.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I feel bad for the people getting 200/400 with their 840 Pro's... ;)

All about that 480/515.

6. bricehulse thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I think I still am pleased, for two reasons. First, it has made a huge difference in startup time. My laptop now boots a whole minute faster. My other reason is because it is much quieter than my old 7200rpm HDD. My laptop is now practically silent. I really have to shove my ear up against the keyboard to hear the fans running.

Sure, I wish I could utilize its full speed, but it still makes a pretty big difference. Also, I expect that I'll be in the market for a new MBP in a few years, so I can just order it with the cheapest HDD and then swap in this SSD.

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

Reviews of SSDs always seem to over-emphasise the sustained transfer rate.

All SSDs have <i>seek times</i> that are a fraction of what you'll see on mechanical drives. That's the main source of the speed-up in booting, application startup, page in/out that makes SSD-equipped computers run so slickly.

I think the only thing to regret is, maybe, you could have got away with a cheaper SSD as you didn't need SATA III.

Don't hold your breath. I bet you an internet that, in 'a few years' SSDs will be standard in all MBPs and the entry level will be at least 256GB, and probably not in 2.5" SATA form.

Also, the big unknown with current-generation SSDs is how long they will last in real-world use. No moving parts vs. the finite life of flash memory cells.

8. simsaladimbamba

To make something italic, either use the [​IMG] button when the text is selected or use [I][/I] tags, thus seek times looks like this in the text entry field: [I]seek times[/I]

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had 2007 MBP '15 with Intel 320 series SSD 160GB I can see bit fast than regular hard drive in fact it boot up was so quick. :apple:

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You could have bought a cheaper SSD and gotten much more storage out of it.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Now if the OP wants to upgrade his computer, he doesn't need to buy a new SSD.

12. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

The speed from a SSD doesn't come from sustained reads & write anyway. It's still much faster than a HDD.

13. theluggage macrumors 68030

Don't worry. Thanks to MacRumors I'm always using [I]square brackets[/i] on forums that use regular HTML. :rolleyes:

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You need to do your research before complaining about it. Like others have said, it's SATAI! What do you expect?!?!